Airbrush Color Everywhere! Is This Normal?

Decorating By AmbitiousBeginner Updated 1 Nov 2011 , 2:22pm by TexasSugar

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 6:14am
post #1 of 7

I bought the Duff airbrush with a 50% off coupon at Michael's and used it for the first time. I've only recently started decorating cakes as a hobby, so I was glad to go with a less expensive option. I thought it worked well. I used it to paint a fondant covered Halloween cake to look like a night sky (see my pics). I thought everything went great...until I saw that the bottom of my feet were blue, and there were blue footprints all around my table where I had been walking. I covered the table and put up a cardboard directly across from me to catch the overspray.

I got out the windex and paper towels. I went through an entire role and the towels were still blue. The floor didn't look blue, but it still turned white socks and feet blue for two days. Now (two days late) there is only a faint hint of blue. Even when I cleaned the countertops in the kitchen (one room over from where I used the airbrush) the paper towels turned blue. Nothing looked blue, until I wiped with a wet towel.

Is this normal? I watched youtube videos that said to cover the work surface, but the entire room? What did I do wrong? Was it me, or this airbrush?

If you have any advice, please respond. I would like to use it again. I don't want to have to use it outside only.

Sorry for the length. I just couldn't (and can't) believe how the paint traveled.

6 replies
FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 6:48am
post #2 of 7

It gets everywhere.... you will b finding blue for a long time to come all over your house. You need to get an airbrush booth there are plans for making one on Earlene Moores website will look for the website address and send it to you .

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 6:51am
post #3 of 7

here's the site www.earlenescakes.com
click on the all instructions tab

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 7:36am
post #4 of 7

Thank you!

I'm glad it's not just me.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 8:31am
post #5 of 7

Yup . . it really does get everywhere, last time i used my airbrush i sneezed bright pink for 3 days lol!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 8:40am
post #6 of 7

Definitely gets everywhere. I have sneezed various colors for days.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 7

Leah, the first time I airbrushed was blue and it sorta freaked me out when I blew my nose later! That helped me be less freaked out when I used red another time.

AmbitiousBeginner, wanna be really freaked out? I dare you to go check your ac filter. Last time I changed my AC filter it took me a few mins to figure out why it was blue. I also had blue dust on my living room fan, two rooms away from where I originally airbrushed. I'm still finding blue places around my kitchen, such at the cabinet doors.

Honestly the fine mist of color will go everywhere, it isn't anything you did wrong, just the nature of the best. You can make your own booth or buy one, or ya can just clean colors up everywhere. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%