This Flower Cutter?

Decorating By bakingkat Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 3:30am by Lovelyladylibra

bakingkat Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 10

Hey all! I have a bride wanting a specific flower cascading down the side of the cake. Here's the issue, I can't really find a cutter for the flower she wants...Most of the ones I find have too pointy of tips, and the ones I can find only range in 2-4 inches, she says she wants giant at the top, and tiny at the bottom... This is where you all come in, help me find one? Or give me alternatives? I was thinking about trying to make my own using the tutorial from lilaloa's awesome blog, but thought I'd check you guys first, thanks!

I don't think the pic attatched, so hopefully the link will, this is what she sent me for what she wants
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FW8B2U/?tag=cakecentral-20

9 replies
Marianna46 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 10

If you're going to use these actual flowers somewhere on the cake, I'd order them and photocopy one of them (as best you can!) and then enlarge or reduce the copy so you'd have templates in different sizes, including one really big one for the top. Once you print the templates out, you can cut them in something heavier, like posterboard so you can have something sturdier for the actual pattern you'll use to cut. When I do this, I try to have the patterns I'll be using laminated in plastic, so they'll last longer. I know cutting these flowers by hand is a lot more time-consuming than using a cutter, but if you can't find cutters in all the sizes, this may be your only alternative. Best of luck!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 10

Marianna46 has a good idea, but I'd go one step further and use the scrapbook flowers as a template to make my own cutters using the following:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002WC8Y3O/?tag=cakecentral-20

It's very easy to use and you can order refills of the aluminum for making custom cutters whenever you need one. I used it to make the cutters that I used on this cake:

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011_03_27_archive.html

Marianna46 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 10

Oh, for heaven's sake, cakeyouverymuch, how I wish I'd known about this about forty cakes ago! How cool! I've got to order this today! My mother used to make cookie cutters out of the rims of coffee cans (always in plentiful supply at our house!), when they actually had rims and you had to open them with keys. She'd bend them into shape with sharp-nosed pliers and use them forever.

bakingkat Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 10

If you're interested in making your own cutters, go to the lilaloa blog she has a tutorial on there that shows you how to make cutters from normal hardware objects , and it seems much cheaper.

bakingkat Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 10

And thanks for all the advice, I had thought about just making templates and hand cutting them, but that just seemed like too much work/time to be profitable. I guess I'll try my hand at making my own, using the pic as a template. She sure makes it look easy! icon_smile.gif

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingkat

If you're interested in making your own cutters, go to the lilaloa blog she has a tutorial on there that shows you how to make cutters from normal hardware objects , and it seems much cheaper.

But are those "normal hardware objects" food safe?

leahk Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 10

Try taking a cutter with pointier tips and cutting them all off using a round cutter.

Marianna46 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 10

Or even with an X-Acto knife or a paring knife, although that would take a little longer!

Lovelyladylibra Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 3:30am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingkat

But are those "normal hardware objects" food safe?

Yea they are. I read her blog all the time. just ask the people you get the sheet metal from is it food safe or not

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%