Calls From Credit Card Machine Companies??

Business By shannon100 Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 5:07am by Linda5606

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 12

I registered my DBA about a month ago. Today, I received EIGHT!!!! calls from credit card machine companies, offering free credit card machines and low CC fees. And it's all on my cell phone!!! So frustrating! I had no idea I would start getting telemarketing calls on my phone. Anyone else go through this? What do you do? My number was already on the Do Not call registry, but does that not apply to"business" numbers?

11 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 12

They call us all day, every day. And no, the Do Not Call list does not apply to businesses.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:16am
post #3 of 12

I hang up.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:59am
post #4 of 12

Not one hour after I got my business phone line I got my first telemarketer call. He was a nice guy and I asked him how he even knew I was a business. His reply... "I pay the phone company a quarter for every new business number they give me". I don't hang up, I ask to be removed from their calling list and then hang up. Dont worry, it gets better, or you at least get sed to it! icon_biggrin.gif

shannon100 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 3:13am
post #5 of 12

Most of the calls were automated, so I hung up as soon as I realized it was a telemarketing call. I guess I'll just stop answering calls that aren't local.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 4:02am
post #6 of 12

We use a Google Voice number for our business, with all calls automatically sent to voice mail.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 4:29am
post #7 of 12

It will probably die down. Somewhere in a database, your name became available as a "new" business. That's why you're getting so many calls at once. I got the same calls plus calls from banks to open a "new" checking account for my "new" business when I simply renewed my ficticious biz name with the county. The calls began the same day the name was filed.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 12

I, like Jason, was going to suggest Google Voice. You can set it up many different ways. Mine still rings my cell phone, but at least they don't actually have my cell phone number. And I have it set up so I can screen the calls to decide whether I want to answer or not.

shannon100 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 12:31pm
post #9 of 12

I like the idea of at least listing a google voice number with the state, or wherever my number is listed as a business. I wonder if that would help, though, since my number is now on lists everywhere. I wish I would known about the telemarketing calls before listing my number!! I wonder if it would even help at this point.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 12

At my day time job part of my job is to screen these types of calls out and we get many of them a day.

With a lot of the automated calls you can press 9 to be removed from their listing. With people it is a little different. Because I'm the lowly person that answers they phone they don't believe me when I say the owner isn't interested, and I have had to argue with them a few times to get my point across. If you do talk to a person then tell them that you want to be removed from their list.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 12

We just hang up. We get a dozen calls a day asking us to donate cakes, buy insurance, buy long distance, update this and update that.

I had an insurance man come into the store one day and ask me to buy insurance. I asked him if he could read and he said yes, and I showed him the no soliciting sign he ignored on the front door. And the one at the counter. He said he wasn't selling anything, he was just giving me information about his insurance he has to offer (?!?) I told him that to me is selling and to go away and don't come back. An hour later I got a call from his wife. Yes, his wife. Telling me I was rude.
His wife! I hung up on her. His WIFE!!!

Yeah, I am rude! Time is money. Tawanda!

Linda5606 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda5606 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 5:07am
post #12 of 12

i am still getting those calls " we will be in your area tomorrow at 2 and we wanted to verify your address" i've been open for almost 3 years and the calls are still coming. they drive me nuts

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%