Florida Cakers...central East Coast

Business By camomama5 Updated 26 Dec 2011 , 4:52pm by cangela4re

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 2

Considering moving and wondering if anyone knows if there is a big market for special occasion/wedding cakes between central/east coast FL. I see there are a lot of cakers and the ones whose websites I've visited are truly what I would call "polished"......not merely owners of a cake business. Don't want to get down there and realize I made a huge mistake and that I don't have many clients. Any locals down there that could give me a little insight? I live out in flood-prone Owego,NY area (15 min out of Owego) and 5 out of 7 of us (of our family)have mold-related issues due to the constant rain, cloudiness and flooding. Need sun and the healing ocean air for severe asthma. However, trying to research EVERYTHING first. Thanks for any input.

1 reply
cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 2

Not sure if youre still considering a move to FL but I live in FL and we have plenty of mold (because of our constant humidity) and plenty of flooding (its a peninsula and FL contains about 20percent of all wetlands in the USA) and I too personally have allergies (dust, pollen, mold, etc) and this place does not make it any better. Ive been a real estate broker for 12 years and Ive seen a lot of homes (more than most people have)...and more than my fair share of mold.

If you want to go someplace that doesnt have mold issues and thats good for allergies, try the west coast. Ive lived in WA and CA and visited other western states so from experience, Im saying that even though the temp might be the same in Cali as in FL, theres no comparison! While you might feel like youre baking in the Cali sun, its better than being sauteed on high in a tub of lard lol. Also, I had the fewest allergy issues while on the west coast (even thought that I had outgrown my allergies until I moved back East). Even visiting Vegas in the middle of July was a sigh of relief from the Florida humidity...I could walk around all day in 100 degree weather and not break a sweat. Family is very big for me so Im here but If it werent for my family all living here, I would be a West Coast girl thats for sure.

In addition, I think you have about the same chance of starting a successful business anywhere, its more about the quality of your work and your marketing/networking efforts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%