Pricing

Decorating By ChrisJack1 Updated 31 Oct 2011 , 11:18pm by ChrisJack1

ChrisJack1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJack1 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 5

I only make cakes for friends and family at this point, but will be moving to another state and intend on starting a legitimate home based business after settling in. I know this question has probably been asked over a thousand times, but I'm hoping you all can help me out - could you please tell me what you would charge for this cake?? It's a 10" round with a cereal treat lid. My nephew helped me with the piping around the top as it was for his Grandmother, so next time it would be a bit neater. I've only started doing this about 14 months ago, but I think my work is coming along pretty well. I just don't want to sell myself short!! Thank you in advance icon_smile.gif http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2187799

4 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 5

When pricing cakes there are a number of factors that have to be determined cost wise in which you have to provide the information for.

What size is the cake?
How much did your ingredients cost?
How long did this cake take you?
How much do you want to get paid hourly?
How long did it take you to go to the store and get all of your supplies which is factored into the labor costs?
How much did your electricity cost?
How much did your cleaning supplies cost?
How much did your cake boards, boxes and any other supplies needed for this cake cost?

When it comes to pricing you not only have to think about labor costs but you want the business itself to make money. With that you should mark up after you have taken all into consideration at least 20-30% so that the business can flourish.

I would suggest that you do a google search to get some more information as I am sure that I have forgotten somethings. A quick search gave me this: ]

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=pricing+cakes+#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=pricing+cakes&pbx=1&oq=pricing+cakes&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=0l0l0l2917l0l0l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=19557f1f637173eb&biw=1280&bih=685

and an advanced google search with cake centeral as the website gave me this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=pricing+cakes+site%3Acakecentral.com&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=685&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

There are so many factors in pricing a cake and when you before you become legal you have to think about liability and car insurance

I am sure that I have forgotten a few things but hopefully others will help you out. icon_smile.gif

lmgreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmgreen Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 5

Wow! The cake is absolutely gorgeous. You did an excellent job. The hardest thing I have found about baking for others is pricing my work fairly. I run a private baking business from home for friends and clients I've known for a long time and a few new clients from time to time. When I price my cakes, I take into consideration my time, costs for cake supplies and ingredients and the time it takes to create the dessert. If I made a cake like the one you made for a family member or close friend my price would be vastly different than what I would charge a new customer whose looking for a better price than what is offered by some of the local bakeries. If you're making your own fondant, that again is a lot cheaper than buying it from the store. My minimum for fondant covered cakes decorated with simple gumpaste or fondant accents starts at $40 (6" round) or $2.50 per slice and that's only because of my locality. And depending on where you're planning to move a cake like yours could sell for $150! Don't undercut yourself!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJack1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJack1 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for replying to my question, and especially for the compliment on my cake icon_smile.gif My husband is retiring from the Navy after 24 years later this month, and we are looking to buy a home in the Fredericksburg Va area (about an hour from DC) My biggest fear is that I'll short myself because I can't even have a garage sale without giving people a break!! lol I know I'm not the best decorator around, but I do feel like I've grown leaps and bounds in the past year. This is truly what I want to do, and I want to be successful icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%