Keeping Lint Out Of Gumpaste

Decorating By Megan1979 Updated 31 Oct 2011 , 2:22pm by chelleb1974

Megan1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megan1979 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 3:08am
post #1 of 3

Is there a trick to keeping lint/fluff out of gumpaste? No matter how clean my surface is I always seem to end up with it in my flowers / figures and it drives me nuts. Especially if I am using white. Also do you recommend using cornflour, icing sugar or shortening to stop it sticking? I use cornflour which I put into a stocking and dust down the surface and am wondering if this is causing the lint?

2 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 3:21am
post #2 of 3

I always wear a clean White cotton t shirt when decorating . It helps 

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 3

I lint-roll EVERYTHING before starting to make gumpaste or flowers. The table, the mat I work on, my celboard, my petal pad, ME. I lint-roll me several times. I also wear an apron that is not lint-producing and lint-roll the apron several times before starting, and anytime I step away from the flowers and come back.

I use cornstarch (very lightly) on my celboard so gumpaste does not stick. I just take a little bit on my fingers and rub it into the board. When kneading gumpaste, I use a little crisco on my hands if it is sticky. The lint may be coming from the stocking. I don't really use one, so I don't have any other advice on that.

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%