Lights In Cakes

Decorating By luckylibra Updated 30 Oct 2011 , 2:22am by Isacake

luckylibra Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 1:51am
post #1 of 3

I made a cauldron cake this weekend and used lights for the first time

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2192240

It was for a friend's party which I was invited to and she had me disassemble and cut the cake...

how do you put the lights in a cake like this so that you can disassemble it easily?? I had them in a tube up through the bottom of the cake and then taped to a cake board on top of the top layer. I then put the cooked sugar plate on top but as the cake sat for a while the sugar melted around the lights and it was impossible to get the sugar plate off and therefor impossible to get the lights back out. I had thought I would just remove the sugar plate and untape the lights and pull them back through the tube then take the cake board off and cut the cake.. but I had to have someone hold the cakeboard with the lights and sugar melted onto them up so I could cut the cake and remove slices.. I was glad I was there because I have no idea how someone else would have managed it.. Any ideas to avoid this?
Thanks, Colleen

2 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 2:11am
post #2 of 3

Well, first and foremost your cake is really cool and very well done!

As far as lights in cakes, I haven't used the technique like you did for this cake. I made several candle cakes last year, that have the indentation on top in the middle for a battery operated candle to sit in, but obviously very different that what you've done.

I can see where there might be a few issues with melting, and I'm anxious to hear what others have to say. I'm making a swimming pool cake in a couple of weeks, and have thought about having lights to illuminate the pool.

I'll be watching your post, and if you have any suggestions outright; please share.

Kat

Isacake Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 2:22am
post #3 of 3

I am curious of what kind of lights you did use in this gorgeous cake. For the sugar plate to melt, the lights must have produce heat or the temperature in the room really hot. I have made a cake with lights and a sugar plate last week, and I didn't had any issue. I use DEL lights, they do not produce any heat. I also used Isomalt instead of plain sugar, Isomalt is way more resistant to moisture. Maybe this could help you! I passed the wires into a dowel in the middle of the cake, and then put the wire in the isomalt blown bubbles. I premade a hole in my sugar plate to pass the wires through. Batteries set was taped under the elevated cake board. To cut the cake, we only had to pull the wires out from under the cake and remove the sugar sculpture. Easy. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%