Pick Up Cake Times

Business By geogirl Updated 6 Nov 2011 , 5:18pm by loriemoms

geogirl Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 7

I had a person picking up a cake today from my house. I usually deliver but she didn't want to pay the delivery fee. Anyhoo, we had settled on a time of 10am. I waited and waited until 10:45 but nobody had come to pick it up. I left messages but nobody picked up. I had to leave because my daughter had dance lessons so I left it on the porch with a note. They picked it up and left the payment.

How long should you wait for someone to pick up a cake? Was is wrong of me to leave it on my porch?

6 replies
SaltCakeCity Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 7

Ugh, I hate when that happens. After the 3rd time I sat waiting for someone to pick up a cake, I finally threw together a "Pick Up Direction Sheet" (with directions and tips for a safe cake pick up/delivery). It also clearly says on there, "For every 30 minutes you or your elected pick up person is late without warning, a $10 late fee will be added to the price of your cake." I also require pick up people to call or text me when they are on their way so that I can be aware of those early-risers too icon_smile.gif

I think that's really helped because it scares the pick up person into coming on time or at least calling if they plan to be late. I hope that helps icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 7

If you have a payment policy of 50% down at time of order and 50% due two weeks before pick-up along with a written pick up policy (any wait longer than 30 minutes requires rescheduling); then the onus is on the customer.

If they don't pick up a cake that is completely paid for at the designated time, it's not a problem for you - it's their choice.

HTH

geogirl Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks!! Those are really good suggestions. I will have to implement them.

GeminiRJ Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 7

I thought I'd share this late pick-up policy for my niece's day care: For every minute you are late, they add $19 to your bill. I can guarantee you, NO one arrives late to pick up their child! I can't imagine doing this for cake, but wouldn't it be nice? I'd actually hope they were a bit late!

geogirl Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 7

Wow! I would make more money per hour on late fees that actually making the cake!! LOL

loriemoms Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 7

I have a store front and I actually have people ask me to stay open late for them so they can pick up the cake at their convience! (and I dont mean a couple of minutes...we close at 2 on Saturdays and I had a lady who wanted me to stay opened till 6!) Usually I am not there on Saturdays (out on deliveries) and that would mean paying my employees to stay late! (and no they don't want to pay for delivery fees)

So I dont know what to tell you about people who have a disregard for your time. I like this idea of making them pay a huge amount per minute they are late! haha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%