Buttercream Help!!

Decorating By Pattycakes80 Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 8:15am by sweettreat101

Pattycakes80 Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 7:32am
post #1 of 2

Hi all,

I have attached a picture of a cake that I have sculptured out of 3 rectangle cakes and 2 round cakes. It is going to be a corset cake. I have never covered a cake in just butterceram before, except to "dirty Ice' before fondant so I have no idea what I'm doing.

Can someone please tell me if I just spatula the buttercream on and smooth it out nice and thick and that's it? Do the rectangle pieces need to be stuck together somehow first? I'm just worried that if the cake gets moved too quick that the pieces may shift and a gap might form.

I only ever do fondant cakes so this is very new to me.

Thanks!

1 reply
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 8:15am
post #2 of 2

It's best to use a crusting butter cream that can be smoothed with a paper towel. You can attach the two cakes together using butter cream. Will they be standing up or laying down? I carve my cakes to the desired shape then I disassemble the layers and add my fillings. Then I use my cake knife and add a nice layer of frosting to cover the entire cake. I remove the excess frosting and smooth using the hot knife method. Then I let the frosting crust for ten to fifteen minutes and use a Viva paper towel to smooth. The frosting recipe I use is 2 pounds powdered sugar, 1 1/2 cups hi ratio shortening, 1/2 cup salted butter, 2 tablespoons clear vanilla and 1/3 cup water. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%