Fondant Cake-Cake Is Poofing And Buttercream Is Coming Out!

Decorating By bizzymomma Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 5:55am by argylealice

bizzymomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizzymomma Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 3:46am
post #1 of 7

Whenever I do a cake, I put a small amount of buttercream in between the layers and after I cover it with fondant, the buttercream starts coming out of the layers and making ripples in the sides. Also, my cakes will start to poof out on the side. Why? How do I correct this? Here's a picture. This one hadn't poorer out yet, but the buttercream was coming out.

6 replies
bizzymomma Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 3:54am
post #2 of 7

Poofed* not poorer icon_smile.gif and for some reason...the picture wont post

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 4:09am
post #3 of 7

Do you have the whole cake coated with buttercream before putting on the fondant or just the middle? you need a thick dam of buttercream around the inside of the layer before placing the layers together. push down slightly to be sure there are no air pockets. Are you letting the cake settle a few hours before putting on the fondant? You should let it crust then put a tile or sometimes I use an empty cake pan and a canned good inside to help settle the cake. I always freeze my cakes overnight, wrap good with plastic wrap after it crusts and freeze, then thaw some like in frig some out...but I leave on the wrap till thawed. I always put the cake in the frig for ten min to chill it, then put on the fondant. Where is the buttercream coming out from, at the bottom? HTH

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 4:23am
post #4 of 7

Just thinking, if you mean by poofing you have air pockets in the fondant...you can take a toothpick and gently make a tiny hole and smooth the air to escape through the hole. I'll be signing off soon, so I may not see a response to my question...good luck!

bizzymomma Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 4:37am
post #5 of 7

Thanks : ) its not like air pockets...its literally like each layer of cake is too thick and its only an inch or an inch and a half. And I usually do 4I layers per tier. And the buttercream is coming out where I fill the cakes...so there are like, 3 lines around the cake where its just buttercream poofing out further than the cake. When the cake itself poofs, it looks like I have no support and im stacking them. Its so weird, but I have alot of suppory

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 4:59am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzymomma

..... and for some reason...the picture wont post

The attachment to post software isn't working correctly at this time. But you can work around that inconvenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:

First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and paste it into your post. Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.

Photobucket is here: http://photobucket.com/

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.

HTH

argylealice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
argylealice Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 5:55am
post #7 of 7

Hi buisymomma i also have had this problem.the best way to avoid this is to buttercream the cake together and around the sides then put it into the fridge until the buttercream hardens,when i remove the cake from the fridge i go round the edges again with a palate knife and remove any excess buttercream that has splogged out of the sides while the cake has been settling and cover the cake in fondant while it is still cold from the fridge.i dont know if this is the correct way because i am fairly new to this and self taught but it works for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%