Do You Cut The Cake At Weddings For A Fee?

Business By Bettyviolet101 Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 5:02am by DragonFly2333

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 12

I am not sure if it is normal for cake decorators to cut cakes. I had a friend ask me to do this. What do you guys do/think?

11 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 12

I have been asked before as well, by a family member. I politely declined. There are individuals at the venue that generally have that task, and in my experience they are very good at it.

Cutting a wedding cake might sounds like a no brainer, but when you see someone with a lot of experience dis-mantle, slice and serve the cake it is a thing of beauty................seriously, I have been impressed with the way my cake slices looked on the plates, as well as making sure that it's cut to accommodate the correct number of servings

Do some research on line, as to the detailed manner on cutting wedding cake servings and see if it's something you feel comfortable with.

Kat

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 12

I agree, I don't cut them, I put them together, I cut the one at the cake wrecks thing last week, but that was unusual. If there's a caterer there who knows how to cut the cake I'd hand it over to them.

If I did cut it, I'd be charging them by the hour for the time I was sitting there waiting for the cake to be cut, too.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 12

I am asked occasionally to cut the cake but when I tell the I charge a least $100 per cake, they find a friend to do it for them. Most hotel, country club and restaurants venues provide this service in their usual cost.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 12

If I were asked, I would charge an additional fee.

I agree with KatsSuiteCakes that the venue or restaurant should have qualified individuals to cut the cake. Only once have I been to an event that I delivered the cake (and was an invited guest) and the caterer who was suppose to be qualified did not cut the cake correctly. I mentioned it to the host (based on her cutting they were not going to have enough cake for the guest) and they addressed it with the caterer.

Fyi - she was cutting the 3 tiered cake into huge wedges for a 100 person event!

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 12

when ask by a client if I cut the cake, I reply yes, but it is a for a fee of a minimum $75.00 depending on the time of reception and distance from my house.
They always say we will be cutting the cake at 7pm and it somehow is around 9pm or later when they get around to cut it. So we sit there and wait and wait... I now tell them that there is also an additional fee of $10.00 hr for any time over the "origional" cutting time. you would be suprised how the family trys to keep things on time when we show up.

Some halls and venues around here charge per serving to "cut the cake".

It was $1.50 per slice at the last venu and other have told me that they have known them to charge between $2.50-$4.00 per serving.

I have seen cutting teams go through like an army and cut the cake into little beautiful slices and yet others.. look like they have been through the war.. a total mess...

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 12

Sure for $20 bucks and hour, the entire time I am waiting. And if they wany me to leave and come back to save on time, $30 bucks an hour, including drive time. I just can't see waisting my evening for anything less.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 12

are you a guest at the wedding? If so I would say NO explaining that you would like to just enjoy the wedding reception and that you will not be dressed in attire appropriate to cutting the cake.

If you're not a guest then you charge. I charge $75 per hour with a 4 hour minimum. I don't care if it only takes 20 minutes to cut. I still have to wait around. That's what it's worth it to me to have to give up time with my family or working on other cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 1:08am
post #9 of 12

wow, you guys are a bargain! I always recommend AT LEAST $25/hour with a 4-hour minimum. Yes, they ARE going to pay you to sit in the kitchen reading a book until they get around to cutting the cake.

If you agree to cut the cake for a fee, be sure to confirm "This does not included any plates or forks so be sure you have those at the cake table for me." They may be surprised to discover that the venue's "cake service fee" includes the plates and forks so if they tell the venue "Oh we won't be paying that because we have someone else comign in to cut the cake!" ... they may be surprised to find out the venue is NOT providing plates/forks since the couple opted NOT to pay the service fee.

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 12

All very interesting. Ya know I am not positive I am a guest lol! I guess I assume I am a guest. Maybe I will just decline. It worries me that I will not cut it right and then there will not be enough!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 12

If I stayed to cut the cake...I wouldn't be able to take any other cakes for that day since I couldn't deliver them. I much rather create another 600.00 cake then stay and cut a cake for 100.00. KWIM?

DragonFly2333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DragonFly2333 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 5:02am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

It was $1.50 per slice at the last venu and other have told me that they have known them to charge between $2.50-$4.00 per serving.

This is the norm in our neck of the woods. Haven't seen anything as high as $4 (nor lower than $1.25), but there is always a fee per serving. Never saw an hourly rate or flat rate, alway per serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%