Need Advice For Fondant Cut-Outs

Decorating By tsal Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 10:35am by tsal

tsal Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 7

whenever I try to freehand fondant cut-outs, I cannot get the edges smooth and the pieces uniform (if I'm making more than one of the same).

I just made some knife cupcakes for Halloween (pics in profile). I found a knife silhouette on the Internet, printed it to the size I wanted, then used it as a template to cut out my fondant pieces with an exacto knife.

I added tylose powder to my fondant, rolled it out thinly, then let it firm up for a few minutes. It stretched when I was cutting (as usual which is why the pieces were not identical in size and shape as they should have been), and when I let the fondant firm up even more, the straight lines cut nicely, but the rounded edges looked ragged.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't imagine cutting out more intricate pieces, but I know that it can be done as I've seen it on cakes on CC.

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 7

What are you cutting with? A wheel tool works pretty well. Lots of people use xacto knives...I do that sometimes but it's so slow.

tsal Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 7

I use an exacto knife.

tiggy2 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 7

I use my silhouette electronic cutter and every piece is exactly the same size.

icer101 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 7

tsal, just looked at pics. They are great. I see no problems. Great work!!!

cakegirl1973 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

I use an exacto knife.

Ditto. thumbs_up.gif

tsal Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 10:35am
post #7 of 7

Thanks, icer and cakegirl! I was happy overall with my cupcakes, but upon close inspection, they were not perfect.

I cut out sections that had to be matched (the black sides of the handles) and they were all a little different and the edges were a little rough.

I chose the most flattering camera angles for the pics so it didn't really show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%