Fondant Going Limp

Decorating By rearly Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 11:01pm by rearly

rearly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rearly Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 6

My fondant/Tylose powder pieces go limp when I put them on a buttercream cake or cupcakes. I make them days ahead and they are completely dried hard but after a couple of hrs on a cake they start to droop????
What am I doing wrong????

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Rebecca

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 6

Are you closing them up in an airtight container?

JennTheCakeLadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennTheCakeLadie Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 6

Are you putting them in the refrigerator after you put them on the cake? The condensation can make them droop.

rearly Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 6

No...to both of those questions.
And it's cold in Canada so it can't be the weather??

JennTheCakeLadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennTheCakeLadie Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 6

Actually, it can. Cold usually means moisture. Any moisture can make your fondant limp. Another thing that can happen, when buttercream is refrigerated and or frozen, when it comes back up to room temperature, it can sweat, leaving a layer of moisture on the buttercream, which your fondant would soak up. You may need to bring your cake out of refrigeration and let it come up to room temp before you put your decorations on, then check to make sure there is no moisture sitting on the top. A non-textured paper towel can be gently laid on buttercream and will soak up water, typically with no effect on the decoration (try this on a non-important cake the first time, until you get a feel for it).

rearly Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all your suggestions but the cupcakes I just did were not refrigerated or covered and they did the same thing?
Maybe it's because of my buttercream icing 50% butter 50% shortening, vanilla and water.....What do other use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%