Less Sweet Buttercream Frosting

Baking By trixie05 Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 8:51pm by trixie05

trixie05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixie05 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking for a less sweet buttercream frosting than Wilton's. There are so many recipes from which to chose I don't know which one will work. Aniy help?

6 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 7

I suggest that you try SugarShack's buttercream recipe, which you can find on this site. Everyone who tries my cakes with this buttercream says, "This is really good. It isn't too sweet." HTH

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 7

I use salt water instead of regular water for my buttercream, and I use the Wilton recipe. Everyone loves it.....says it's not too sweet, perfect!
Just add salt to warm water and voila.....

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 7

That saltwater idea is really good Kakelady!

trixie05 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 7

Kakelady I put my salt in cold water using Wilton's recipe. Maybe I should try warm water.
Cakegirl I'm going to print out her recipe & check it out also. Thanks all.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 7

It's a matter of finding one that your customers like and is workable for you.....try Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream, or the Whimsical Bakehouse buttercream recipe. These recipes should be available in the Recipes section on this site. Or, as suggested above, you can make standard American buttercream less sweet by using salt, and also by subbing a small amount of the powder sugar with flour or cornstarch (1/2 cup for every 2 lbs of powder sugar).

trixie05 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 7

Oh Beckalita, I like the idea of cornstarch. My husband suggested that, but who listens to husbands, Even if he did go to CIA! Thanks all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%