Scratch Bakers...guide Me Please...

Decorating By caked4life Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 10:29pm by FromScratchSF

caked4life Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 6

I have a really good recipe that I have chosen to start using as my base recipe. The recipe only calls for baking powder, but there is sour cream in the recipe. My question...Should I be adding baking soda to the recipe because of the sour cream.

TIA

5 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 6

I add baking soda to all my white/yellow cake bases. 1/8 tsp baking soda to 2 tsp. baking powder. I find it makes my levening more stable and I can go from cake to cupcakes with no problems. But I do this because every recipe I make has some sort of acid in it, either buttermilk, fruit, extracts etc.

caked4life Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you, fromscratch sf, for the response. Since I'm using sour cream, would you recommend 1/8 baking soda?

FromScratchSF Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 6

Yes. Like I said, I just have it written into my base recipe so it can handle any ingredient I throw at it (except some fruits, like banana, which I divide what it calls for in baking powder into 1/2 baking powder, 1/2 baking soda). The worse that can happen is you get a little bit (and I do mean a little nit) of tunneling, which is not perfect but the customer isn't going to notice that.

auzzi Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

The recipe only calls for baking powder, but there is sour cream in the recipe.

The author must have baked the cake with just baking powder. Presumably, the recipe is successful as it is written.

Why include additional bicarb soda?

Sour cream does not always have to be counteracted by an addition of bicarb. If added, it will cancel out the effect that the sour cream is supposed to have in the recipe. There will be no "tang", no slight "sourness", no "whatever" the author intended. You are significantly changing the recipe, not making a simple addition. It won't be what it was supposed to be.

It should also be noted that acidic ingredients eg sour cream, buttermilk, and yoghurt, also react with the ingredients in baking powder [the bicarb soda] ..

Adding additional bicarb soda, or any extra leavening, is okay to a point, as long as you know what the ingredients do and how they interact in your recipe.

Overleavening results in:
- soapy/acrid taste [excess/extra bicarb]
- batter overflows pan
- large holes & tunneling
- coarse grain & sunken center
- over-rising: peaked or cracked tops to the cake falling

FromScratchSF Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

Overleavening results in:
- soapy/acrid taste [excess/extra bicarb]
- batter overflows pan
- large holes & tunneling
- coarse grain & sunken center
- over-rising: peaked or cracked tops to the cake falling

I don't disagree, but what I add is essentially a pinch. It doesn't cancel out anything and makes my cake more stable. It really probably depends on the base recipe and you do have to know how your ingredients are going to react in it before playing with the levening icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%