Cupcake Business

Business By JenniF Updated 28 Nov 2011 , 3:44am by PastaChef

JenniF Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 2:53am
post #1 of 13

I am in the very beginnings of this venture so any help is very much appreciated. I am in Washington State, and in a small town that is very excited about my business idea. They are very helpful thus far, but I want to get all the ducks in a row per se...I don't want to get going into this and find out I am totally off the mark. I am coming out of being laid off to a full time baker, and I love cupcakes and desserts. The concept of the cupcakery and an internet cafe has been brought up recently. So if any of you can give advice, share your wisdom, and share your thoughts I greatly appreciate it.

12 replies
mplaidgirl2 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:09am
post #2 of 13

I would steer clear of an internet cafe. I avoid them at all costs because of the type of people the business brings in. I would more suggest a cupcake place that has free wi-fi if a customer wants to come in with a computer. Maybe its just cause I'm in NYC. But its always a creppy type crowd. And no matter how good the cupcakes were I probably wouldn't go in because of it.

cs_confections Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:50am
post #3 of 13

I've been to some places that have wifi, but only give you a code to access it if you make a purchase. It's still free...with purchase! Then they can surf away, while munching on your cupcakes or sipping on a drink you sell. Good luck with your new venture!

jason_kraft Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 4:10am
post #4 of 13

Your first step will be a business plan, here is some more info:

Just keep in mind that most new businesses aren't profitable for at least a year (usually 2-3 years) so make sure you have enough in the bank (or another source of income) to both fund your business and pay your living expenses for that long.

CakesByTheSugarCains Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 4:25am
post #5 of 13

Good Luck JennyF on your new business adventure! I would love to start a cakery too someday, but don't know if I ever can or will. Illinois has too many holes to jump through unfortunately, and makes any home baking business impossible.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 4:31am
post #6 of 13
Originally Posted by cs_confections

I've been to some places that have wifi, but only give you a code to access it if you make a purchase. It's still free...with purchase! Then they can surf away, while munching on your cupcakes or sipping on a drink you sell. Good luck with your new venture!

Thats a good idea. And its easy even to change the code even daily so once someone has the code they don't keep stealing it.

GeminiRJ Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 13

There's a cupcake shop/cafe that opened here in Omaha, and it's become quite successful. The owner was even on Cupcake Wars and made it to the final round. I think what sets it apart from many other bakery shops is the look and feel of the place. They hired an architect to design it, and you can tell! It's very modern and chic with lots and lots of windows. It's so inviting, you HAVE to go in! And once you're in the doors, you HAVE to buy a cupcake! Even when they're $3 a pop and you thought you'd never pay that much for a plainly iced cupcake.

I think getting customers in the door is half the battle, so pay special attention to the street appeal of your shop.

Good luck!

sleepiesaturn Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 3:23am
post #8 of 13

Maybe try working in a bekry first so you can get a feel for the type of production that would be involved to just break even. Never mind pay yourself or make a profit of any kind.

JenniF Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you guys for all the suggestions...I have been thinking of "selling" the code each day. Again I am still in the beginning stages of the business. I am in contact with the local business development counsel as well as the SBA. I am not going to jump into this without having everything in place first.

Annabakescakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 13

I also want to mention that me a friend of mine and I sat in Starbucks for 2 hours a couple months ago, there was a guy that was already camped out on his lap top when we got there and in no was ready to leave when we left. So maybe it should have a 90 minute limit, too, somehow... BTW, his iced coffee was nothing but cloudy water with a few cubes in it and he bought nothing else. (But neither did I icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif )

scp1127 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 2:23am
post #11 of 13

You would be better off buying the books by CC members. Mimi Fix has a business book and Kara Buntin (costumeczar) has one also. If you like their advice on CC, You will find both of these books helpful. Be careful ordering Mimi's book. You need the first one on business. The second one is more of a cookbook.

AliBakes6167 Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 3:02am
post #12 of 13

An internet cafe & having wifi in your cupcakery are two different stories. I don't see any issues with having wifi, but to attract these customers you'll need to make sure the vibe is right in your shop. There is a coffee shop near me that has free wifi for an hour or two max, and you don't get the code until you buy something. And the code expires after a certain time period, so they can't save it & use it at a later date.

PastaChef Posted 28 Nov 2011 , 3:44am
post #13 of 13

Before you invest too much time or money you need to have a solid business plan. How many cupcakes/pastries do you need to sell just to pay the rent or break even. Then go from there. Is there foot traffic? What makes your business a destination? Have you ever worked in the business before? Find a mentor someone in the business that is willing to work with you. So you learn from their mistakes not your own.
I wish you all the luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%