Cake Pushpops-Nightmare Grrrrr

Baking By CandyLady Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 12:30am by LacyHogan

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 19

ordered push pop holders and put partially together to stand in styrofoam. Made my cakes (orange & chocolate) for office halloween party...made frosting tonite and started to assemble...what a pain...put a bit of frosting in bottom and first layer I had cut out in circles using push pop bottom...crumbling...layer of frosting...then chocolate piece, more frosting...as you are pushing them into the stryofoam the bottoms are pushing up so when you snap the lids on they are hitting the frosting...would never do them again. Unless anyone knows of a sure fire way to push cake circles down without gettting all over our hands and breaking...I hated doing them but taking to work tomorrow...I tried one and find them very very hard to eat..what up with these???? Cute concept but not happy with outcome...HAD TO VENT> THANKS FOR LISTENING.

18 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:38am
post #2 of 19

Partially frozen cake makes the handling more manageable from my experience.

Sorry you had such a frustrating experience.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:39am
post #3 of 19

I think you're right, they look cute but eating them is another story. I just think of a bunch of little kids smashing the sticks up really fast and shooting the cake all over the room. I have a rude name for them but I won't say it icon_wink.gif

CakesByTheSugarCains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByTheSugarCains Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:44am
post #4 of 19

This post caught my eye, because I have been wanting to buy the push pop containers and make them! Sorry for your bad experience Candy Lady, but maybe we can all learn some great ideas to make these! I can see that KatsSuiteCakes' idea of partially frozen cake would help. Any other people's ideas on this?? I would love to learn more BEFORE I purchase and spend the money and time to make them!! Thanks!

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:59am
post #5 of 19

I've also seen where you can bake mini cupcakes, minus the wrapper and although I've never done that, it looks like it would be a breeze.

huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 1:30am
post #6 of 19

I just used a push-up container to cut the circles and placed it over the top of the one being made and pushed it in the other container with the plunger. Not sure if I am explaining that right but it worked really well doing it that way. Easy to make............

silverc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverc Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 1:34am
post #7 of 19

I used a large flower nail to push the cake circle into the container. I liked it because I was able to push each layer down onto the icing before it. They were a lot of trouble though. I have had the containers for a year and have only made them twice.

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 2:13am
post #8 of 19

I have a circle cutter that is a little bit small than the push pop. I use my 9" white Wilton rolling pin to push the cake down the tube with. Yes, partially frozen cake works best. I also bake my cake in a jelly roll pan. I have never eaten one but I am told the kids love them.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:16am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulbaker

I have a circle cutter that is a little bit small than the push pop. I use my 9" white Wilton rolling pin to push the cake down the tube with. Yes, partially frozen cake works best. I also bake my cake in a jelly roll pan. I have never eaten one but I am told the kids love them.

The jelly roll pan is a fantastic idea...........I'm gonna use that for next time.

Sweetgrl1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgrl1963 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 4:11am
post #10 of 19

Sorry you are having trouble. I did too the first few I did. As far as cutting the circles. I used a circle cutter just a bit smaller, and they just dropped in. No problem. However I did experience some of what you did trying to insert them into styrofoam. After a few I realized what was happening. So I took a ink pen.( it was handy) and made the holes, and then just sat the sticks right in. Worked perfect. I've also cut a piece of wood. Like a 2 by 4. Cut the length I needed, used a drill and put holes about 3/4 " deep..spray painted it put in the push pops. You could just leave it that way or what I did this week for a Halloween party was used a black and orange boa and worked it between all the ppush up. It was to cute. Hope this gives you some help.

Sweetgrl1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgrl1963 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 4:16am
post #11 of 19

Forgot to mention that I bake regular 2" tall cakes. Use my Wilton wire thing to torte my cakes, so now I have 2 1" cakes then I use the circle cutter. Perfect. icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 4:51am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I think you're right, they look cute but eating them is another story. I just think of a bunch of little kids smashing the sticks up really fast and shooting the cake all over the room. I have a rude name for them but I won't say it icon_wink.gif

ok....now I'm going to be spending the next hour or so thinking of what your rude name is.

my rude name would be: TooMuchWork

(I'm all for simple)

costumeczar Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:58am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:

ok....now I'm going to be spending the next hour or so thinking of what your rude name is.

my rude name would be: TooMuchWork

(I'm all for simple)

I'm pm'ing you so that I don't offend eeryone who seems to like them! icon_lol.gif

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:09pm
post #14 of 19

Oh Costumeczar you are leaving all thinking about it. lol hmm..

costumeczar Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 2:46pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel58

You just got a pm too. If anyone wants to know feel free to pm me, but I swear, don't ask unless you never want to look at them the same way again!

love2bake68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2bake68 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 7:01pm
post #16 of 19

I make them all the time I bake mini cupcakes, take the wrapper off and cut the minis in half and they drop right in I am able to fit 2 minis with frosting. I have styrofoam bases with the holes drilled in and then cover them with pretty tissuse and ribbon.

EZSweetShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EZSweetShop Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 8:02pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel58

You just got a pm too. If anyone wants to know feel free to pm me, but I swear, don't ask unless you never want to look at them the same way again!

OK, now I need to know too!!! LOL icon_evil.gif

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:23pm
post #18 of 19

thanks for all your comments and ideas. Must admit my office ate every last one of them...I love the idea of using the flower nail. Also I will try frozen cake circles next time...actually using the tube for cutting the circles worked out ok..I was nervous about using mini cupcakes because I was not sure they would fit. Only could get two cake circles in each with frosting above and below. I also liked the idea of using a pen to poke holes in the styrofoam...brilliant...I knew you all would be helpful and so appreciate it. Pat

LacyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacyHogan Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 12:30am
post #19 of 19

I'm so glad you posted this too! I just bought some containers for a birthday party and have not used them yet. I did plan on baking mini cupcakes and sliding them in. We'll see how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%