How Do I Prevent Elephant Skin In Fondant?

Decorating By jeartist Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 10:54pm by MarianInFL

jeartist Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 10

Just finished a beautiful cake but there is elephant skin in places. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong and what to do to correct it.
Thanks in advance.

9 replies
tripleD Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 10

I had that problem this summer. To much handling of fondant if your using corn starch to roll out. to much its drying the fondant out.
I found a great solution. I went to walmart purchased a yard of clear vinyl. Cut it in two equal parts. I put my fondant on it cover with other layer of vinyl. Roll out fondant between vinyl. No cornstarch needed. Peel off top layer of vinyl. You can lay it on the cake fondant side to cake. And peel off the other vinyl layer. Your fondant will be smooth, shiny, clean and no elephant skin.
good luck.

sabre Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:04am
post #3 of 10

It's not you, it's the fondant. What brand are you using? Sometimes it helps to knead in a little corn syrup or shortening to make it pliable.

icer101 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:38am
post #4 of 10

tripleD is correct. !!!!

jeartist Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 1:01am
post #5 of 10

Sabre, I make my own fondant. I have always used Collette Peters' recipe but don't remember this problem before. Have tried the mmf but just doesn't have enough structure for me.
TripleD, what a great idea. I'm at Walmart almost every day. Am definitely going to get the vinyl and try that. Do you not need cornstarch to keep it from sticking to the vinyl? By the way, just saw they have all the Watkins this week - cinnamon, peanut butter. Can't wait to try them.

tripleD Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 10

No, No cornstarch needed. It peels from the vinyl really easy.

KoryAK Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 10

Work faster icon_smile.gif

molly_36 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 10

I found a great solution. I went to walmart purchased a yard of clear vinyl. Cut it in two equal parts. I put my fondant on it cover with other layer of vinyl. Roll out fondant between vinyl. No cornstarch needed. Peel off top layer of vinyl. You can lay it on the cake fondant side to cake. And peel off the other vinyl layer. Your fondant will be smooth, shiny, clean and no elephant skin.
good luck.[/quote]

Read the thread Best Food Safe Fondant Mat I also bought some vinyl and had great luck with it but was educated earlier today by another CC'er sending me this link http://healthychild.org/5steps.....7Qod-2Zvmg
Didn't know that some vinyl is not food safe...

KoryAK Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 10

Ateco makes a blue silicone mat for this purpose that is the same idea as the vinyl but made for food. It's more expensive than vinyl (dirt cheap) but really not expensive at all. HTH.

MarianInFL Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:54pm
post #10 of 10

The Mat!!! It's the best fondant tool ever!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%