Will This Work?

Decorating By pag41989 Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 3:05am by SaltCakeCity

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing a cake for a decorating competition the Tuesday after next and I was wondering if it would be fine to start baking and frosting the cake this upcoming Tuesday and then cover it in fondant? If it is should I leave it out or put it in the fridge?

9 replies
3lilmunchkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3lilmunchkins Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 10

I wouldn't bake and frost a cake that far in advance if people are going to be eating it. Too big a risk for it to go bad and make people sick or even grow mold. (IMHO) The most in advance that I've baked and decorated a cake is two-three days. If it's not to be consumed then that's another thing. icon_smile.gif

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 10

Why don't you bake, tort and crumb coat it and then freeze it. Just make sure you wrap it well. Bring it to room temp before you cover in fondant.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 10

Certainly it can be baked, filled and crumb coated now icon_smile.gif Do not cover w/fondant yet.
Wrap it in plastic wrap or a plastic bag and freeze it. Then two days before wanting to finish it, take it out of the fzr (that night) and put it in the frig; If you have crumbed it, it can go directly from fzr to room temp UNwrapped. The crumbcoating will keep it fresh it will NOT dry out.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:38am
post #5 of 10

I COMPLETELY second the bake-now-freeze-for-later suggestion! As a matter of fact, moisture is locked into the cake SO well this way, that I refuse to bake right when I need my cakes, I ALWAYS make sure that my cakes get at least an overnight stay in the freezer. The texture is fabulous afterwards! The key, though, is to wrap very very well! Even if you don't crumbcoat prior to freezing. HTH!

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:59am
post #6 of 10

I have been wondering about this...when you freeze cakes....is it better to thaw in fridge (with wrapping)? or thaw on counter (wrapped or not?)
TIA

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 1:25am
post #7 of 10

It makes little diffrence if you thaw in frig or on counter. What is important is that the cake be covered - whether w/plastic wrap/bag or crumb coat.
If it is crumbed, then UNwrap - again, either on counter or in frig. Usually I like to take my cake out of the fzr the night before I plan to work on it and put it directly into the frig. The next day it is ready to work on icon_smile.gif

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 2:36am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It makes little diffrence if you thaw in frig or on counter. What is important is that the cake be covered - whether w/plastic wrap/bag or crumb coat.
If it is crumbed, then UNwrap - again, either on counter or in frig. Usually I like to take my cake out of the fzr the night before I plan to work on it and put it directly into the frig. The next day it is ready to work on icon_smile.gif

thank you!!!

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 2:56am
post #9 of 10

It won't be eaten, does that make a difference?

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 3:05am
post #10 of 10

If it won't be eaten, I would definitely use a fake cake (styrofoam). There's no chance of the buttercream softening making the fondant sag. It's so much easier for display cakes. Transporting it is a breeze too. I hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%