Making A Cake Stand Like Those From Raise The Cake

Decorating By mlwideman Updated 3 Nov 2011 , 5:27pm by blushingbride

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 13

I just discovered the designer cake stand site called Raise the Cake. The stands are fabric covered with ribbon and broaches. It looks like they are relatively easy to make if you are crafty. The website says the stands are lightweight but can hold the weight of the tallest cakes. Has anyone ever tried making something similar? Do you think they used Styrofoam as the base? The ones they design are meant for one time use.

12 replies
Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 13

Wow, just checked them out. They look like they're just 4" high square dummies (styrofoam). Some of them sure add to the cake - great idea really!

I imagine that's all it would be - styrofoam covered with fabric and ribbon. But I could be wrong - just judging by the pictures.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 13

Those are outrageous prices for fabric-covered styrofoam, even with the rhinestone doodads.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 13

I looked at the website and from an aesthetic standpoint; in many cases, I find those 4 inch thick blocks to be too overpowering for the cakes. The only ones I like were those that looked like an additional tier to the cake.

mlwideman Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:24am
post #5 of 13

I thought those prices were really high as well for a one time use. That is why I was considering making my own. I love the ones with the pleating front detail. They are really pretty. Thanks for the replies.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:11am
post #6 of 13

Those prices are ridiculous! Even if the stand was made from MDF, there is no way I'd pay that. I made my own cupcake stand last week out of MDF and it looked great and it cost me about £20 including the paint! Here it is here:

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 13

WOW Nanefy - that's a great stand. Where did you find the center brace? I love it.

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 13

WOW Nanefy - that's a great stand. Where did you find the center brace? I love it.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 13

What's MDF?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 13

Nanefy, I love your stand. Can you give us details on how you created it?

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 10:19pm
post #12 of 13

"Raise the Cake cake stands and cupcake stands are hassle free and are meant to be used on a one time basis, but if you wish to wash off the frosting and use it again, go for it. If you choose to toss it, be sure to remove the keepsake crystal embellishment." From the FAQ section of their website.

This looks even more like a cake dummy.

blushingbride Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blushingbride Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 5:27pm
post #13 of 13

Have you checked out the Crystal Palace brand of cupcake trees and cake pop stands? They're made out of clear acrylic, so they don't overwhelm your beautiful cake, cupcakes or cake pops. Plus, you can use them over and over again. See them at www.crystalpalacecupcaketree.com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%