Custard Filing For Fondant Cakes???

Decorating By prettycupcake Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 7:51pm by prettycupcake

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I recently got an order for this Saturday for a three tiered First Birthday/Halloween cake. Shes the first of my customers to ask for a custard filing with fresh bananas and strawberries. I am desperately looking for suggestions cause this is so new to me. I don't know how would the custard filing not bulge out when I'm decorating the cake with the weight of the other layers and fondant...Please help!

Thanks

8 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 9

You will want to use a stiff buttercream dam to prevent the custard from leaking out.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 9

Yes a stiff dam is the key... plus place the dam inward just a hair and not on the edge. This way as the cake settles it will not try to bulge or ooze out.

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 9

Make sure you tell her (even though it should be common sense) to keep the cake refrigerated as long as possible)...some people would think they can leave it out all day!!!

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 9

Building a dam around the custard filling is critical. Also, when stacking each layers slightly push down to allow the cake to settle and you can add extra frosting on the sides of the dam if you see any peeking out. We then put the cakes in the fridge to set for about an hour then take them out to crumb coat, back in to set and then frost. While this may take more time, it works very well for where I work. Depending on the type of frosting you use, this process can be sped up.

prettycupcake Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you all for the replies....but (as dumb as this sounds to the experts) what you mean a dam. Can you please explain exactly how I would do this?? I'm not only new to decorating but baking as well.

Thanks again..

Also, anyone have a good tested recipe of the custard?

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 9

Creating a dam is where you pipe an circle of frosting around the edge of the cake. Wilton has a video and pictures you can check out.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/filling-cake-layers.cfm

Saulite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saulite Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 9

you can make a dam out of any BC that you currently use, just make it super stiff by adding extra powdered sugar. i add surar till is stops sticking to my fingers. its should be slightly more flexible than fondant. credit for this idea belongs to Sharon Zambito

prettycupcake Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks you guys....omg, had I not asked this would've been disastrous!! Thanks again for all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%