Cutting And Serving Cakes 6Inches Or Taller

Decorating By Rae9 Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 4:47pm by MCurry

Rae9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rae9 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 4

I see these beautiful cakes that have tiers that are at least 6 inches tall or taller and I am just wondering how you would cut and serve these cakes? Would you half the Tier? Would you have double the number of servings when calculating them? Just curious, thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 4

You would have to have a different price per serving if you were giving them a 6in tall cake slice because that is more cake than a 4in tall slice. I wouldn't change the servings, because no on would be able to cut a pretty slice of cake that is less than an inch wide and 6 inches tall.

What you can do, is put a cake board in the middle, that way when you cut it, you have two 3in tall cakes to cut and serve, that will also fit better on place, because most dessert places aren't bigger than 6 inches.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae9

Would you half the Tier? Would you have double the number of servings when calculating them?

Yes... with a cake board in the middle at 3", it would yield double the number of servings yet they're 1x2x3 inch (6 cu. in.) servings instead of 1x2x4 inch (8 cu. in.) servings. (Or, you can cut whatever size slices you want... example: 1.5x2x3 inch (9 cu. in.) servings.)

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You would have to have a different price per serving if you were giving them a 6in tall cake slice because that is more cake than a 4in tall slice. I wouldn't change the servings, because no on would be able to cut a pretty slice of cake that is less than an inch wide and 6 inches tall.

What you can do, is put a cake board in the middle, that way when you cut it, you have two 3in tall cakes to cut and serve, that will also fit better on place, because most dessert places aren't bigger than 6 inches.

Agreed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%