Kitchen Rental - In Exchange For Baking?

Business By wernie Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 10:38pm by wernie

wernie Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:34am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I have been working trying to find a commercial kitchen to rent for quite some time. I am just starting out in doing anything like this and selling to people (I have only been doing decorating for family/friends for years). One cafe the woman told me that another girl rents the kitchen out on Sunday when they are closed. She said that they have a 'deal' where she pays very little for the full day and then provides them with some cupcakes, a chocolate tart, and maybe some other things. I am able to rent the kitchen M-F at any time after 2pm and we came up with the price of $20/hr. Although now I am thinking if I am solely decorating cookies and not using gas or much electricity, that might be a bit pricey.

I then spoke with the owner of another nearby cafe who was thinking about it and he and his wife own that cafe, plus the place next door. He said that he would speak with his wife tonight and she would probably call me tomorrow (as she mostly runs the cafes). What would you say is reasonable to ask as a price if they have not done this before? (I haven't either so I'm not quite sure.) I don't want to be losing out, but as I am just starting I NEED to find a kitchen! I was thinking of asking if I could maybe bake some things to provide to the cafe for them to then sell (x order of x, y, and z each week or something). Any help/input/advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
QTCakes1 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 5

$20 an hour is pretty dang cheap rent for a kitchen. You have to think, this is not just their electricity your using, but their space, wear and tear on their equipment, insurance, licenses fees and all that good stuff that comes with a commercial ktichen.

mrsg1111 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 5

This is something i would love to look into as well. I love baking cakes and i've been asked more and more by people outside of my family to make cakes for them. How does it work though? Do you supply all of your own ingredients and supplies and you just use their ovens?

jason_kraft Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 5

The way it usually works is the rental kitchen owner supplies ovens, mixers, prep tables, on-site dry storage, fridge space, and freezer space. The tenant brings their own liability insurance, business license, inspection certificate (in most counties each tenant is inspected separately), ingredients, and supplies.

In my experience rental kitchens charge anywhere from $10-30/hour depending on the area and what's included (some kitchens charge an extra monthly fee for on-site storage and fridge/freezer space). If you commit to larger blocks of time you can usually negotiate a lower per-hour price.

Personally I would rather pay cash for the kitchen time, and if the kitchen owner is interested in buying products wholesale that would be a separate transaction. But if you can work out a deal where bartering works in your favor that would be fine too, as long as the wholesale purchase price of your products and how much they offset the rental charges is clearly outlined in the contract.

wernie Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 5

Oh, I forgot to mention that the 'kitchen' where it is $20/hr isn't really a commercial kitchen. It is a licenced kitchen in a cafe, but there is only one oven (bigger than mine at home at least) and she only has a hand mixer and a couple of pans. So, I'd be bringing basically all of my stuff (minus a mixer and a few bowls). In addition, I'm not quite sure what she has in terms of space - I don't really need much freezer/fridge space, but in terms of letting decorated biscuits and everything dry. So for me it's mostly to just use the oven and hopefully have a wee bit of space to decorate, otherwise, the place is quite limited.

Quote by @%username% on %date%