Whipped Cream Frosting On Tiered Cakes

Baking By bakergirl63 Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 12:37pm by MCurry

bakergirl63 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a 2-tiered Sweet 16 cake and my client wants whipped cream frosting. Will I be able to set the top cake down onto the bottom cake, or will I have to seperate the two tiers? I'm afraid that the frosting between the tiers will melt if I set the top tier directly on the bottom one. Does anyone have any ideas? I have a couple of recipes to try, but if anyone has a recipe I can use in this situation, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

2 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 3

This is one of the recipes I use:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting/

It's not a "true" whipped cream but the texture is very light and creamy and you don't get a lot of that graininess like with a traditional American buttercream. I have used all shortening (high ratio works best), all butter, and a combo of shortening and butter for this recipe. All fat combos have worked fine, and you can do any piping with it.

MCurry Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 3

If I am understanding you correctly, I would separate the tiers and have each on on a separate cake board and have dowels to support the weight of the top tier on the bottom tier. The cardboard should not cause the cake to melt. As an extra precaution, I would frost each tier, put them in the fridge to chill very well before stacking.

Consider using a stabilized whipped cream (using gelatin) to make the cream more sturdy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%