Ron Bon Israel's Putting Fondant Cake In Cooler?

Decorating By Mala Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 2:31pm by TexasSugar

Mala Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 15

As far as I know, you can't put a fondant cake w/ fondant decos inside the cooler, but Ron Bon Israel is doing exactly the opposite. Check this link: Are we missing something here?

14 replies
mariacakestoo Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 15

I don't know where people get the idea they can't put it in the fridge. Every single cake I work on goes into the fridge. Personally, a cake that doesn't require it, kind of creeps me out.

Mala Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 15

I honestly never tried putting a cake wrapped in fondant and w/ the fondant decos coz I'm scared of "condensation" and that the decos will go "limp" or "bleed". I might just give this a try w/ a grain of salt and take it from there icon_smile.gif

Lenette Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 15

I've done it with no problem. I think cakes transport more securely when chilled so all of mine go into the cooler when completed. I add gp decs and such after delivery so those items are not chilled There will be condensation but it will just evaporate , no harm done if the cake is left alone. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 15

There are two possible pitfalls when refrigerating cakes. 1) humidity INSIDE the fridge (commercial fridges are different than home fridges. home fridges are "dry" and good for cakes, commercial fridges are "wet" and good for uncovered lettuce) 2) humidity OUTSIDE the fridge (makes your cake damp when it's changing temperatures).

I'm in Alaska and I don't have to worry about #2 hardly at all. You being in Florida, it's a major concern. Anyway, both types can be avoided by boxing your cake and wrapping it in saran wrap during temperature changes and inside bad fridges.

jenmat Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 15

I have a dry fridge that is separate from my commercial fridge. I stick the finished cakes in there, and have never had any problems, no condensation, etc.

Ron Ben probably has a fridge specially rigged to be "dry" like a home fridge. My dry fridge is a home type fridge vrs a commercial fridge.

I've read that you can rig the commercial fridge by wiring the cooling fan to run continuously.

Karen421 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:00am
post #7 of 15

I also put all my fondant cakes in the fridge - I have never done it any other way! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:09am
post #8 of 15

Something cold brought into an area that is warmer than that item will sweat (form condensation on it's surface) if there is significant humidity in the air.

The condensation will be worse the colder the item.

If you're lucky enough to own a dry fridge AND the ambient air is dry, then you wouldn't notice much, if any, condensation/sweat.

Since I have no way of knowing what the humdity % will be when I remove a cake from a fridge or freezer, I box & wrap my fondant cakes.

Jmlpitbull Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:18am
post #9 of 15

I have a commercial fridge and always refrigerate my cakes. I put them in their box and put the box in a big black trash bag and tie it up good. This keeps my cake chilled, but prevents the moisture frI'm getting to it. It's made a huge difference. It even works with decorations. Hope this helps!

jjkarm Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:19am
post #10 of 15

I think it also depends on which fondant recipe or brand you're using. I never had any issues refrigerating a fondant cake until one day I tried a new fondant recipe... disaster!!!! It was a complete mess! Since then I'll only use my standard recipe. Refrigerating cakes makes set up and delivery so much easier.!

cathyscakes Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:28am
post #11 of 15

I do it all of the time, never had a problem, it might depend on where you live too, but no problems in Oregon.

crumbcake Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:24am
post #12 of 15

Had problems, took fondant decorated cake out of home fridge, and it sweated!

gidgetdoescakes Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:26am
post #13 of 15

carlos cakes...Buddy puts cakes with fondant etc in fridge/cooler.............and so do I and if there is a little swetting it dries fast enough if you leave it alone, I never have trouble with that

MCurry Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:29am
post #14 of 15
Originally Posted by mariacakestoo

I don't know where people get the idea they can't put it in the fridge. Every single cake I work on goes into the fridge. Personally, a cake that doesn't require it, kind of creeps me out.

Lol! Ditto.

TexasSugar Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:31pm
post #15 of 15

As others have said, it can be done depending on the area you are in.

I went to something this summer that had Browen Webber doing a demo, and she said they always put their cakes in the fridge. I was like how in the world do you do that in Texas because hello, crazy humidity here!

They box them up and have the little packets that absorb moisture which helps keep the condensation at bay while they are delivering the cakes.

If you live in an area that doesn't have a lot of humidity, it wouldn't be a big issue to put the cake in teh fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%