Gumpaste Rose Failure, Please Help! Cake Due Soon!

Decorating By FondantDreams Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 2:01am by FondantDreams

FondantDreams Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 13

I'm trying to make red roses using a gumpaste flower making kit I bought made by Wilton. I colored the gumpaste red using Americolor food coloring then it made the gumpaste too moist so I added in powdered sugar which seemed to help but then when I'd thin the edges of the petals they'd crack from being dry. GAAH! icon_cry.gif The petals also are too floppy and I cannot get them to stiffen up and when they finally do they just break entirely. I have a cake due Saturday evening with NO successful red roses. What do I do?????

HELP!!!!!!

12 replies
schmulie14 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 13

I usually knead in a touch of shortening when I feel like the gumpaste is getting too dry

JSKConfections Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 13

Do you have Tylose or maybe even corn starch to add to the gumpaste???

sweettooth622 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 13

Can you go buy some premade red fondant/gumpaste anywhere?
I had a red rose problem a few weeks ago. My MMF was WAY too sticky after I colored it red and it was the wrong color red, so I went and bought some of Duff's fondant and added tylose powder to it. It was expensive, but I had a coupon, so I bought it anyway. The roses dried enough so that I could handle them and put them on the cake without any cracking or breaking issues. Hope that helps!

AnotherCreation Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 13

I make mine with modeling chocolate. Taste good and no drying time icon_biggrin.gif

FondantDreams Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:08am
post #6 of 13

Ok, is Tylose the same thing as Gumtex? I've not seen Tylose in our Michael's.

Now modeling chocolate, how do I make roses like that?

As for buying more I am flat broke so I have to make the Wilton gumpaste homemade but have to make it dark red; another issue in itself. I suppose I ought to re-make it but use the coloring when making the gumpaste and include it in the water right?

carolinagirlcakes Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:22am
post #7 of 13

You could do the Duff rose... it is easy. You just use what ever size circle ring you want and cut how ever many layers of petals you want. Then you just lay them in a line with each barely overlapping each other and roll it up. Fan it out as you wish to reach the fullness you like.

Here is a link to a picture of what I am talking about: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1149096

FondantDreams Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:28am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirlcakes

You could do the Duff rose... it is easy. You just use what ever size circle ring you want and cut how ever many layers of petals you want. Then you just lay them in a line with each barely overlapping each other and roll it up. Fan it out as you wish to reach the fullness you like.

Here is a link to a picture of what I am talking about: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1149096

Wow, seriously!!!! I am all over that one! I also just saw a tutorial on how to make fondant roses that looks super simple. This just may save my bacon! Thank you!

tokazodo Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:47am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FondantDreams

Ok, is Tylose the same thing as Gumtex? I've not seen Tylose in our Michael's.

Now modeling chocolate, how do I make roses like that?

As for buying more I am flat broke so I have to make the Wilton gumpaste homemade but have to make it dark red; another issue in itself. I suppose I ought to re-make it but use the coloring when making the gumpaste and include it in the water right?

To answer your question, Gumtex and Tylose are not the same things. Personally, I might try saving the batch you have already made. You can add stuff a little at a time. You can smear shortening on your hands and knead it into the gumpaste and that might help. If you are going to add some more water, you could try just running your hand under the water, shaking off the excess and kneading in the water drops which are on your hand. I would hesitate from adding anymore powdered sugar. Usually, I sprinkle about 1 tlbsp of powdered sugar on the bench and work it in, slowly. I am finding more success with adding shortening. Tylose powder is inexpensive and found online.
Hope this helps

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:16am
post #10 of 13

Gum tex isn't exactly the same as Tylose, but it acts in a very similar way. With gum tex, it often helps to let the paste rest a bit longer and it has a slight grey tinge to it.

I'd suggest kneading in a tiny bit of Wilton fondant or Wilton pre-made gum paste to the gum paste that you made. It may loosen it up and stop the edges from cracking--no more gums or powders. And definitely use a smear of shortening when kneading the paste.

Rae

icer101 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:30am
post #11 of 13

here is one way to make chocolate roses. google , how to make chocoate roses and you will see alot. hth

carolinagirlcakes Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:51am
post #12 of 13

Awesome links icer101, thanks!

FondantDreams Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:01am
post #13 of 13

Thank you all so much! I ended up adding fondant and made roses with circles like Edna icon_smile.gif They look much better than a 5 petal cutter; I just need to practice but thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%