Navy Office's Hat

Decorating By marchdragonfly Updated 31 Oct 2011 , 2:44pm by chelleb1974

marchdragonfly Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 2

I was asked to make a cake like this. I have already made the molds & used fondant to make the Officer's Pin on the hat. Any advice, tips, suggestions on the construction of the cake is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1 reply
chelleb1974 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 2

Looks like one tier of a topsy turvy cake, with only the sides angled and not the top. I bake from doctored cake mixes, and I would add an extra egg or a packet of dry pudding mix to the cake mix (among the other things I do to doctor it). Once baked, cooled and leveled, I would stack the cakes up. Decide how much smaller you want the bottom of the cake to be for the hat, and get that size cake board and put it on the top of the cake. For instance, if you baked 10" cakes and want the bottom of the hat to be 8", put an 8" cardboard on the top of the cake, centered. Then take a knife (I would use serrated) and trim the cakes from the top cardboard to the edge of the bottom cake.

When ready to stack and fill, start with the smallest cake and put that on the bottom, add your frosting dam and filling and continue stacking. I would then put a crumb coat on the entire cake, followed by a coat of icing, then the fondant.

Hope that helps and hope that's what you were asking for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%