Bettercreme Substitute

Baking By Annabakescakes Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 8:38am by sweettreat101

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:12am
post #1 of 4

I have access to Bettercreme, and it works great, but I would love a "natural" product I can use the same way. I want something i can make a big batch up, and separate out some and flavor wih jams, liquors, or fresh fuits and extracts or whatever. Is this too much to ask? I really want to get away from all the chemicals where I can. And if you don't want to share it with the whole caking world, I would be happy to accept a PM and not share it further, if you like. thumbs_up.gif

Thank you so much in advance.

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 8:13am
post #2 of 4

Bettercreme is a substitute for whipped cream. One of the main points with Bettercreme is that it's stable for 5 days at room temp after its whipped, unlike whipped cream. If you don't need the shelf life, then whipped cream is the answer. If you do need the shelf life, then chemicals are probably the best answer.

"Better living through chemistry."

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 4

I was thinking of more of a custard or pudding type base. I hear of pastry cream and using pastry cream as an ingredient in other dishes. I don't know if anyone uses that, or if it is possible to mix it with other things like I mentioned.

With whipped cream, I just can't see that working. It is not about spoiling, the stability isn't there. And I know you can make "stabilized whipped cream" with gelatine, but it has a weird consistency and I am not sure how well it freezes. I always freeze my cakes after filling. I see it oozing, at best, or completly sinking into the cake, and having nothing left between the layers.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 8:38am
post #4 of 4

If you are looking for a filling then you can take two cups whipping cream and one small box instant pudding whip until peaks form. I use this all the time and I also freeze my cakes and never have any problems. As for stablilzing whipping cream I use two to three tablespoon instant pudding in place of the gelatin. I don't like the texture of the gelatin. The recipe I listed above will hold it's shape for weeks. I actually just threw some away that had been in my fridge for two weeks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%