Fondant+Squares=Uglyforme!

Decorating By lmuniz07 Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 4:52pm by lmuniz07

lmuniz07 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:06am
post #1 of 5

Ok so I read that to cover a squared cake with fondant you just have to pull it over the edges... Well I tried that and ripped my fondant. And when I tried not doing it, it was all bunched up at the edges and looked ugly. How do I do this!? Advice please!? icon_confused.gif

4 replies
destineysway Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:46am
post #2 of 5

there is alot of great videos on youtube that you can go to learn how to do it

Jemoiselle Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:49am
post #3 of 5

I know how frustrating it can be to cover a square cake with fondant before you've done it a few times, I myself am still learning but did a good job with one yesterday. That cake was a Nintendo NES with corners and beveled edges. Ick! I just carefully and very slowly smoothed the fondant down with my fingertips, massaging it into place and allowing it to shape to the cake in it's own time. It cannot be rushed. Of course, again I am a square cake newbie. I have made dozens of round ones with fondant, that's a breeze for me but ask me to do a square and I freak LOL. Slowly I am getting over that. Start with the back two corners on the cake when smoothing to get a feel for how it behaves, and just remember to ease it into place with love and care, slowly. It does a great job of almost magically molding into the corners nicely. Watch the youtube tutorials, practice on a pan, and jump right in!

Good luck!

gidgetdoescakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 7:06am
post #4 of 5

you need to do the corners first and then move into the sides and gently pull it out at the bottom and ease it down dont stretch it or it will tear. look on youtube for visuals

lmuniz07 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 5

I will definitely look at YouTube! Thanks everyone!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%