Do I Need To Panic Yet?

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 25 Oct 2011 , 4:23pm by laura4795

laura4795 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making this cake: Image

I made it one other time, and had no problems with the fondant boards on the barrel. I made them a few days ahead of time and they set up and were nice and stiff when I needed them for the cake.

The cake I'm making now needs to be done at noon on Wednesday (24 hours from now). I made the boards on Sunday. They still aren't stiff. I have them sitting in a room with a dehumidifier, but it really doesn't seem to be helping.

Should they have set by now?

If I start a new batch this afternoon, do you think there is any chance they will be dry in time?

Any ideas?

4 replies
kearniesue Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 5

Hmm, i don't know if they really have to be hard for that, but you could try doing a 50/50 gp/fondant mixure and let them harden a lil before you use them. I would think that would be fine.

Good luck!

TexasSugar Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 5

You can glue them to the cake with out them having to be hard.

Did you use just straight fondant? If so, in the future I'd mix it with a little gumpaste, gum tex, tylose, gum trag or cmc.

aprilismaius Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 5

Do you have any dessicant packets like what they put in shoes boxes? If so, put one or two of those on top of the board and cover it with a cardboard box. It should help it dry out. I did this recently with a gumpaste chalice which was refusing to dry in the persistently rainy weather we've had in Cleveland lately, and it worked like a charm.

laura4795 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 5

Texas Sugar: Won't they roll off? The vertical position makes me a little nervous. Yes, I did make them of straight fondant. Shoulda used gumpaste!

aprilismaius: I did find a few of those packets laying around. I'm giving it a try. Thanks for the idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%