Glitter On Fondant

Decorating By AMACakes Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 9:47pm by Shannon1129

AMACakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 6

How should I put the edible glitter on the fondant? With a sprayer filled with vodka or sugar water?

And I assume that I should do this before I put the fondant on the cakes?

Picture attached.

5 replies
rara1975 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 6

I dont think that is glitter on that cake, I think it is some kind of sugar crystals or something like that. The glitter that i use is much finer than that and I use vodka. I cover the cake, brush lightly with vodka and then sprinkle glitter and its fine. This however looks much bigger and heavier than glitter.

katgal Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 6

It's not glitter, it's sanding sugar. You can spray your fondant with a little water, or brush with corn syrup mixture. Then, you just press the sugar on the cake with your hand. You will have a lot of it fall of during this process, but just scoop it back up and re-use.

cdgleason Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 6

I also think that cake is covered in sugar crystals.. Not glitter. Theres a Wilton book with the very technique and the directions call for just painting the cake with piping gel, then covering it with the sugar!

AMACakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

I am making it for a friend's daughter's baptism this weekend.

Shannon1129 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 6

I would paint with piping gel and then use your hand. I always like to put a piece of parchment paper underneath so you can then take the paper and funnel the excess back in your container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%