Kookaburra Cake (Australian Bird)

Decorating By jehni Updated 9 Nov 2011 , 4:42pm by Apti

jehni Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 11:59am
post #1 of 10

Hi I have to make a 3d kookaburra cake next weekend and I'm hoping someone has some tips for me, I can't find any pictures of an actual 3d cake on the internet like what I need. I'm a bit nervous about the beak holding up as they have quite big beaks. If anybody has any hints or ideas for me on the whole cake in general I would be really grateful! I have made a 3d owl before which was easy but a kookaburra has more shape to it than owl. Thank you in advance icon_smile.gif

9 replies
noahsmummy Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 10

could you do the head and beak in RKT?(there is a recipe here with ingredients all available in Aust... have made it before.. otherwise you could just use LCM bars) then make the body out of cake? the tail possibly gumpaste? If you needed to get more servings out of it, perhaps make it some the bird is sitting on something? a plain round cake with a branch going across it?

Apti Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 10

Here is a Red Tail Hawk cake done by CC member jmline:

Here is a Wikipedia photo of a Laughing Kookaburra perched on a Silver Wattle:

The Red Tailed Hawk and the Kookabura are very similar, you could adapt this example to your needs fairly easily.

jmline made her entire bird out of rice crispy treats and fondant, then made the stump out of cake. I think her approach is definitely the way to go. You could make your stump as big as necessary to get the number of cake slices you will need.

The Silver Wattle foliage [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata]
could be made from buttercream on the cake board. You could use yellow buttercream with an open star tip to create the wattle "flowers" and use tip 74 or 75 (or even 3-5 round tip dragging it out) to create the leaves of the Wattle.

Wilton's smaller open star tips, numbers 32, 199, 362, 363, 364 could make lovely Wattle flowers. Look at this Wilton Open Star Tip Guide and you'll see what I mean:

I lived in Bondi (Sydney) for 2 years in the 1980's and one of my favorite memories was early morning in the Blue Mountains near the Jenolan Caves. It was just coming into daylight and I heard the triangular call pattern of 3 Kookaburas in the surrounding mountains. It was magical.

jehni Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you both so much, I have never tried RKT before but I think I will go with the idea of the beak out of an LCM bar and the body out of cake. And wow that hawk is amazing!! I see what you mean, it is similar enough too. I have googled images of kookaburras but the link you gave me is definitely the best one to see the details in. I live in Melbourne but I get the kookaburras around our house a bit too and they make the most amazing sounds don't they? icon_smile.gif This cake is for my daughters schools 100th birthday and their school logo is the kookaburra, they want it on display all day so I really want to get it right!

Apti Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 2:21am
post #5 of 10

Happy to help! Can't wait to see a photo. Would you please post the link to the photo on this thread so I don't miss it?

Sounds like a wonderful occasion to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the school. The next time you hear the kookaburas, think of Chris in San Diego and tell them I sent a fond "hello".

You may be able to send a private message to the baker who made the hawk cake and see if you can get any helpful tips. Rice crispy treats are SUPER easy to make and are very lightweight.

noahsmummy Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:26am
post #6 of 10

yes please do post a link to the finished cake! i used to like the sounds of kookaburras.. but i must say, when they are going off at 6 am on a sunday morning, im not really singing their praises! lol

jehni Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you so much to Noahsmummy and Apti for giving me some tips for this cake. I ended up making vanilla cake with buttercream and fondant. I used fondant for the beak also as I was a bit hesitant using RKT for the first time. I was happy with the cake in the end and everyone who came to the school seemed to love it also. icon_smile.gif I don't know how to add the photo though and I've searched but nothing suitable is coming up? Am I just keying in the wrong words? lol Could you please help again?

Apti Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 10

Jehni, glad the cake turned out well! I haven't been able to post any photos here for quite some time. I don't know if it is just me, or if other people are having problems as well. What I do is put the photo on another location on my computer (my photo website is http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/ ) and I provide a link to that site so they can see the picture.

Thanks for checking in again!

jehni Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:25am
post #9 of 10

ok I've uploaded a photo to my gallery if you want to have a look, it's my only photo so you'll find it easy enough! lol. I tried uploading a side view of the wings but it wouldn't load for some reason so I'll just leave it at the one photo. It's a very well fed kookaburra but I was pretty happy with it. icon_smile.gif

Apti Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by jehni

ok I've uploaded a photo to my gallery if you want to have a look, it's my only photo so you'll find it easy enough! lol. I tried uploading a side view of the wings but it wouldn't load for some reason so I'll just leave it at the one photo. It's a very well fed kookaburra but I was pretty happy with it. icon_smile.gif

"Happy with it"!!! You should be shouting from the rooftops that you are deliriously THRILLED with it! Jehni, that is a perfect "very well fed" kookaburra. Any bird enthusiast would recognize that in a heartbeat. Putting it on the flat fondant branch was seriously good work.

I'm with Milkmaid on your comments section, keep trying to upload the other views so you can help other people who want to do bird cakes. Put as much info as possible in the short "comments" space, such as: body 3 round 8" pans, head, 2 6" pans, RKT for beak, fondant body, painted details", etc. OR see if you can post the detailed "how-to" info on this thread and provide a link to this thread in your comments.

When you upload the other photos, add tag lines to help people find this in a search: 3D, kookaburra, bird, painted, 3D bird, 3D kookabura

And...post it on this thread again, so I can go "ooooooh.....aaaaaaah"!

That cake made my morning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%