Sw's Yellow Cake And White Chocolate Frosting

Baking By Wildgirl Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 3:16am by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:57am
post #1 of 9

First of all, the cake - thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Winner! The only change from her original was that I added 1/4 C milk. It's moist but not overly, good flavor, not crumbly. I may try the ginger just to see if it adds a dimension to the flavor, but it is good as it is already. It got a thumbs_up.gif from the girl I'm making the wedding cake for.

The white chocolate frosting.... the one that sounded so decadent.... the one that I bought a ton of white chocolate for because it just had to be a winner.... thumbsdown.gificon_razz.gif It leaves that greasy mouth after-feel and I didn't see how the white chocolate was worth the flavor. It was nothing special and the after taste was negative. I'm so disappointed! Maybe it was the recipe? I used this one:
6 oz white choc
1/4 C heavy cream (I had only 1/2 & 1/2)
1 C butter
2 C powdered sugar (I figured this was a misprint since it held 2lbs easy to be firm enough - so I used closer to 2 lbs for this)

I am still trying to hunt down powdered egg whites to try the sbc. I'm hoping either to find a better White chocolate bc or a whole different bc.

Edited to add - Ok, I just searched for other wcbc's and they all call for this low amount of powdered sugar. How can this be? It was no way anywhere near thick enough to use! I did measure everything else correctly... I'm confused.

8 replies
Wildgirl Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 9

Any thoughts on white chocolate frosting?

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 9

This recipe looks almost like a ganache - - did you beat it enough?

SweetsbySouthernBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbySouthernBelle Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 9

Hi,

I'm not normally someone to post, but I felt I actually had something worth contributing this time! icon_smile.gif

I have been using Kittencal's White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting from food.com for years, and it is always peoples' favorite. It sounds very similar to the one you used except it is 3-5 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream instead of a 1/4 cup (which is basically the same thing since 4 tablespoons is 1/4 cup anyway). I do think the heavy whipping cream vs 1/2 and 1/2 makes a difference. If you whip it like it suggests, it will end up coming out almost like whipped cream but with a taste and texture so divine that it may just become your go-to frosting.

http://www.food.com/recipe/white-chocolate-buttercream-frosting-130623

Wildgirl Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 9

I thought I did jgifford, but maybe that was the problem.

SweetsbySouthernBelle - thanks for posting! So it's more of a whipped cream frosting.... Does the white chocolate kind of stabilize it then? It doesn't crust, does it? Hmmmm..... I'm wondering when it's good to use - could I use it on a smoothed wedding cake with flowers?

SweetsbySouthernBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbySouthernBelle Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 9

I'm not experienced enough on the science-y side to confidently answer a question about its ability to stabilize the icing. However, I can tell you about my experience using this frosting.

Yes, it is like a whipped frosting. It's very smooth. It isn't a crusting frosting like ones made with shortening, but if you put the iced cake in the fridge, it will firm up a little. As for flowers, for my birthday, I used it to cover my first two-tiered cake which I covered with red rose petals. It's one of my pictures. I will warn you though about something that could happen with the chocolate. Not every time, but a few times I have had a problem with combining the chocolate where I ended up with some white chocolate chunks in my icing! I always assumed that I had let the chocolate cool too much, but I read recently somewhere that that can happen when the chocolate wasn't cooled ENOUGH because the hot chocolate comes in contact with the cold icing and hardens up into chunks. I say that not to discourage you from this icing (because it really is the most delicious icing that I have ever tasted), simply to let you know what happened in case this happens to you.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 9

Question regarding the name of this thread: Who or what is SW?

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:30am
post #8 of 9

Sylvia Weinstock?

Wildgirl Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 3:16am
post #9 of 9

I'm sorry - yes it's Sylvia Weinstock's classic yellow cake recipe. I have a hard time understanding all of the abbreviations here so I should know better than to use them myself!

SweetsbySouthernBelle, this could still work well for me even if it doesn't crust.... I have to make a number of half-sheet cakes that will be cut in the back for serving, so it doesn't really matter if it's crusted or not anyway - any decorations will be minimal on those cakes. I will try it again! Thanks so much for posting - I definitely now have a stash of white chocolate that really should not go to waste. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%