How Do I Cover This With Fondant - Advice Appreciated

Decorating By Byron Updated 25 Oct 2011 , 2:27pm by rara1975

Byron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Byron Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:18am
post #1 of 4

So I have carved the cake, iced and about to roll out the fondant. Then I looked at the cake again and thought how the **** am I going to do this.

The train is supposed ot be Thomas, I am planning th blue icing, so that means I have to cover from the back to where the black starts (near the "face" of thomas.

If I cover from the top, then I will have really large corners to work in at the back and where the sides. If if try and do it from the back the jpoins will show, and I am worried it will fall off.

THe best I can come up with is:
1. Covering from the back to the nose.
2. Use a seperate peace for over the boiler as the join to the engine cab is covered by a red line. But the join will be there on a corner on the sides. 3. And make a seperate coal box topper to cover the back. (the roof of the engine cab is black which overlaps anyway)

If anyone has any better ideas I would love to hear them
Thanks

(hope the photos attach)

3 replies
happyascanbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happyascanbee Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 4:03am
post #2 of 4

I would do it in sections... sides, then front, then top and back... not necessarily in this order. Just use exacto knife to trim any excess that sticks out. good luck

Byron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Byron Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 4

Sorry, I can not get the photos to attach. I spent an hour last night but it kept crashing. I will post them if i can work out how.

rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 4

Yeah, I cant see any pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%