Red 40 Allergy...

Baking By Burnsuego Updated 25 Oct 2011 , 1:14pm by MsGF

Burnsuego Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Burnsuego Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:07am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a cake for my son's Halloween party next Monday which I'm so excited for, but one of the kids in his class has an allergy to red die. My question is: Can i even use orange food coloring? Or is there a way to get orange with out using red 40? THanks!!!

5 replies
amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:34am
post #2 of 6

No any color derived from red will cause the allergy! I am allergic to red dyes in Medicine. So orange, peach, pink, maroon etc will cause the allergy! It totally bites trust me!! You would be amazed how much has red dye i

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:57am
post #3 of 6

Most powdered food coloring other than red does not contain Red 40. For example, powdered orange food coloring contains only dextrose and Yellow 5, which is typically derived from a synthetic compound called tartrazine, as opposed to the petroleum-based Red 40.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/powdered.htm#ingred

Of course some people have allergies to several different synthetic food dyes, in which case you would want to use natural dyes from India Tree.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 6

I think you can get dye free food color at Whole Foods Market.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 6

Another option to explore is beet juice. Many bakers use this to color their red velvet cake vs. red dye. If you using other colors on the cake, I would take the advice of the others who posted.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 6

Check out

www.indiatree.com Look at their Natural Decorating Colours

They are supposed to be all natural no added dyes. Maybe they would work. I have never used them but I know people who have and they like them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%