Would You Re-Bake?

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 2:22am by Annabakescakes

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:19am
post #1 of 16

I have a pumpkin spice cake that sank down slightly in the middle. I baked it for the lowest amount of time, saw it was jiggly, and then baked it for ten minutes more. When I tested it with a toothpick it was clean. After cooling for a bit it sank.

It looks darker in one spot on the top, like it could be under baked. But it has a LOT of pumpkin (2 cups) and a lot of oil (1 cup).

Would you re-bake or just go with it as is?

15 replies
LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:33am
post #2 of 16

How about go ahead and level it so you can take a peek at the inside then make a decision. HTH

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:36am
post #3 of 16

I think cakes with a lot of pumpkin in them can be deceptive. I've had the toothpick come out clean and then when I torted the cake, it wasn't completely baked. If you have the time, I wouldn't re-bake right away. I'd level and tort it and see if there are any problem areas. But, if you are under a time crunch, I would bake another one right away. HTH

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:39am
post #4 of 16

Thanks guys. I wasn't really planning on leveling because the bake even strips did a good job of keeping the cake level. But maybe I will dig in tomorrow after it cools off and see what's going on. This just sucks because the red velvet I made tonight was also an epic failure. So basically my whole evening baking was a waste!

Thanks for your help!

Annie

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:07am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Thanks guys. I wasn't really planning on leveling because the bake even strips did a good job of keeping the cake level. But maybe I will dig in tomorrow after it cools off and see what's going on. This just sucks because the red velvet I made tonight was also an epic failure. So basically my whole evening baking was a waste!

Thanks for your help!

Annie

When life gives you bad cake make cake pops out of them icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 7:52am
post #6 of 16

Annie, check your temp. It can go bad in one baking.

Do you need a RV recipe?

Also on those supermoist recipes, I always use nails and strips because of the center. All of these will help.

Let me know about the RV.

Susan

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 11:17am
post #7 of 16

I was wondering about the temp. I have been wondering about this piece of crap oven for a long time. It seems as time goes on I'm having more and more issues with my oven. icon_sad.gif

I am definitely using the nail tonight. I cannot afford to keep re-baking these scratch cakes. I leveled it this morning and there were very wet pockets inside. I need to beat the crap out of the pumpkin batter and make sure everything is evenly incorporated.

Susan, if you would share that recipe with me I would appreciate it. I am so frustrated right now!

scp1127 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 16

Annie, I've had that temp issue on even my new Kitchenaids. It may not be the temp itself, but the variance. My new KA started swinging from 350 to 300 on 325, with the most time at 300. Just looking at the thermometer didnt help. I had to stare at it and record it for about an hour.

I'm sending a pm. If it's a bigger cake, use 2 nails in the middle and my recipe can be slightly overbaked because of the moisture. Freezing it overnight will amp up the moisture too if you have to overbake to get it done. Same with the pumpkin... overdo the nails in the center, disc not touching, but only 1/2 inch apart.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 3:48am
post #9 of 16

I noticed with my pumpkin cakes that they had a crusty top while baking, but really liquidy underneath and no bounce back. Once they baked more, the crust softened and almost bounced back, and then they were downright bouncey with no crust when I took them out. I use a large can of pumpkin for a double batch. I was afraid they would be a little dry, but they were almost too moist after freezing. So, I guess what I am trying to say is, bake them good, they can handle it! icon_lol.gif

HTH

scp1127 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:29am
post #10 of 16

Anna, I learned that lesson the hard way, many times. Those cakes can't take that slight underbaking like others that finish in the pan. My RV is to the point of too moist if frozen even for an hour if it isn't completely done. I can't freeze my pumpkin carrot cake.

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 16

Okay, now I have Jim Croce in my head!
....I've had my share of good intentions
And I've made my share of mistakes
And I've learned at times it's best to bend
'Cause if you don't well those are the breaks
Should have listened to all the things I was told
But I was young and too proud at the time
Now I look at myself to find
I learn the hard way ev'ry time....

scp1127 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 10:07pm
post #12 of 16

yep, anna, the older I get, the more I like it when it's someone else's mistake first.

CakesByTheSugarCains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByTheSugarCains Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 16

When life gives you bad cake make cake pops out of them.

I LOVE THIS QUOTE... Is it originalUFO9978, or is this quote from some place else?

Annabakescakes Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:18am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

yep, anna, the older I get, the more I like it when it's someone else's mistake first.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif (When is CC going to get a "like" button?)

AnnieCahill Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 10:38am
post #15 of 16

Well I used the nail, turned the heat back to 325, and it baked fine! I have to do the second layer this evening (I don't have two 10" pans). With the RV, I turned the heat back on that one as well and I didn't overfill the pans.

Thanks for all your help!

Annabakescakes Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 2:22am
post #16 of 16

I did pumpkin today and my cupcakes are very moist and yummy. I baked them until they sprung back up with force, lol! I think it took 25-28 minutes or so for them. You would think they would be over baked, but they aren't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%