Melvira???? Question On Bettercream

Baking By CandyLady Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 9:29pm by jgifford

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 16

I am doing a halloween birthday cake...teacher said she recalls how well candy corn goes with frosting from her childhood somewhere...have you ever added liquor to your luscious bettercream? I have used your recipe a thousand times over for my fillings, using the pudding/cream cheese addition...I would love to try to add a bit of butterscotch schnops to my filling...would it hold up? You are the best!!! Pat in Ohio

15 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 4:02am
post #2 of 16

I am not Melvira, but I use Bettercream and have put liquor in it many times. I whip it until it is VERY stiff, and almost dry, then put the liquor in slowly to make sure it doesn't "break" because it will NOT beat back up if you break it down. If it is still too thick after adding enough liquor to taste, put a little more liquid bettercream in it and whip slowly. Rpeat until you like the consistency again. If it breaks down, you have to start over whipping plain bettercream, then add your flat stuff to it a little at a time.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 4:40am
post #3 of 16

Anna... thanks for this info... I really need to make a good chocolate Bettercreme and cant figure out what to do... adding melted chocolate to whipped or liquid bettercreme makes the chocolate seize into granules icon_sad.gif Pls help!! Thanks

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:20am
post #4 of 16

I'm putting my 2cents in!
PJ22, maybe you can try adding cocoa powder to it. I dont use Bettercream but I've heard it's very similar to Pastry Pride, which is what I use. And I've added cocoa powder and a bit of powdered sugar to it while it's still in liquid form then whip it. It turns out great!
Annabakescakes, can you add the liquor to it before whipping it up?

CandyLady Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:52am
post #5 of 16

thanks...appreciate your help...maybe I will just drink the butterscotch shot instead...lol.

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 16

You can use cocoa powder, I do it ALL THE TIME, lol. If you have a high cocoa butter content, be sure to sift it in because you will have lumps if you dont. There is also a "fudge base" product that is unsweeted chocolate with some other stuff(?) that makes it a paste. They both work great.

You can totally but the alcohol in, just don't over do it. I am heavy handed with the booze, is why I do it that way.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 16

Hi there! I always add my liquids including liquors to the liquid before I whip it. It has always worked well for me that way. Not that you HAVE to do it that way, it just happens to be how I do it.

What you need to do to add melted chocolate is heat up about a half cup of the bettercreme to almost boiling and pour it over the chocolate in a bowl and melt the chocolate like you are making ganache, then pour that into the liquid bettercreme (after it has cooled somewhat) while the whip is running. You will get some pretty good stuff! You can also use ganache made with real cream if you have some on hand. You want it warm enough to be pourable, but not too hot.

Best of luck!!

CandyLady Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 16

Hi Mel:

I appreciate your liquor response. I am not heavy handed but will give it a try...

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Hi there! I always add my liquids including liquors to the liquid before I whip it. It has always worked well for me that way. Not that you HAVE to do it that way, it just happens to be how I do it.

What you need to do to add melted chocolate is heat up about a half cup of the bettercreme to almost boiling and pour it over the chocolate in a bowl and melt the chocolate like you are making ganache, then pour that into the liquid bettercreme (after it has cooled somewhat) while the whip is running. You will get some pretty good stuff! You can also use ganache made with real cream if you have some on hand. You want it warm enough to be pourable, but not too hot.

Best of luck!!

Hey, Melvira. How much booze do you add to say a half carton of bettercream? How long do you let it whip? I have added Bailey's to it and whipped for as long as 25 minutes and had it not whip up, but I don't measure, and like I said, I am heavy handed with the booze. When I over whip, then thin it with the Bailey's I have great luck. I've done it with jams that way too and had the same results.

Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 16

I hate to admit that I can't answer that question Annabakescakes because I am terrible about measuring. And, like you, I like my stuff with strong flavors. I only had one time where it wouldn't whip up right, I thought I was losing it because after like 15 minutes it was still liquid. I put it back in the fridge and left it there to get nice and cold, then brought it back out later and it worked.

Seriously, if adding the flavor to it after whipping works for you, do that. You know how some things work one way for someone, and another way for someone else. Do what works best for you! Who is it that always says, "One person's 'must do' is someone else's 'never ever'!" I have a good friend on here and FaceBook, and I thought she was certainly losing her mind because she doesn't use salt in any desserts... but you know what, if her customers are happy with her, and my customers are happy with me, neither way is *wrong*, ya know?

I also know the warmer my Bettercreme is, the longer it takes to whip up. That is contrary to someone else I know. She said it whips faster when it's warmer for her. You just never know. icon_rolleyes.gif Baking might be a science, but I am convinced there is some luck involved!! icon_lol.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 16

HA! I never measure either! I just plop it in there until I like the looks and taste of it. I use my bettercream as soon as it thaws enough to plop in there. It is mostly frozen still.

Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

HA! I never measure either! I just plop it in there until I like the looks and taste of it. I use my bettercream as soon as it thaws enough to plop in there. It is mostly frozen still.

I have to tell you, when someone asks me how I make something... I am never intentionally vague, I just really don't know how much I use for the most part. icon_redface.gif When I was posting all that Bettercreme stuff, I was like... ok, lets estimate this as closely as we can... I was worried it wouldn't be right, and then people would think I was an idiot. Or worse, a recipe hoarder!! Hahaha!!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 16

OK - I hate it when I have to show my ignorance, but what is bettercream? When I first saw it I just figured someone couldn't spell. icon_confused.gif

Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 9:22pm
post #14 of 16

Bettercreme (notice the 'eme' not 'eam' at the end, that is VERY important!!) is a liquid that you whip like heavy whipping cream, but it is a non-dairy icing. It also comes in pre-whipped versions, but I like the liquid if you can find it, as to me it tastes better. Give me one sec and I'll post the link to the thread I wrote about it back in the day. icon_lol.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 9:29pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you so much - - I appreciate any info I can get. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%