First Time Freezing A Cake, Would Appreciate Advice

Decorating By agouti Updated 25 Oct 2011 , 7:34am by Lovelyladylibra

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 9

I am planning a cake for Halloween, but don't want to do the entire thing the day before. I have read about freezing the layers of cake beforehand, but there seem to be variations on how to do it. What, in your opinion, is the "best" way to freeze cake?

Thank you for any advice!

8 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know if it's the 'best' way but I torte my layers, then freeze them.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 9

I don't know if it's the 'best' way but I torte my layers, then freeze them.

sweetminis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetminis Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 9

I don't claim to be an expert but the best method I have found is to cool my baked cakes for 10 min. Turn out onto proper size cake board and pop in the freezer uncovered for at least 4 hours. Please note that I have a dedicated refrigerator/freezer so I don't have to worry about picking up odor from other food sources. After approx. 4 hours I tightly wrap my cakes in professional strength plastic wrap (wal-mart/sam's) two times. This allows my cakes to maintain the proper shapes & ensures moist fresh taste everytime. HTH!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:10am
post #5 of 9

I let my cake cool completely, wrap it twice in plastic wrap, and then wrap it once in aluminum foil. Never have had a problem.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:17am
post #6 of 9

cool them, torte them, fill them, wrap in saran wrap wrap in foil,wrap in several plastic bages, just thawed two today, finished leveling and did the first of two frostings. The scraps were moist, just delicious.

SarahMdr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahMdr Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:59am
post #7 of 9

I agree with Margiep.... I do the same... but I also syrup them (and will often let the syrup soak overnight or for a day, fill and crumb coat it then put in the freezer, wrapped well. I then defrost it in the fridge (wrapped) and then put on my coat of frosting and decorations. I have done this filed with buttercreams, chocolate and curds with no problems... however, I personally find applying a simple syrup helps to keep the cake moist.. but I have read that others do not do this on this forum and still have excellent results..

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 1:05am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetminis

I don't claim to be an expert but the best method I have found is to cool my baked cakes for 10 min. Turn out onto proper size cake board and pop in the freezer uncovered for at least 4 hours. Please note that I have a dedicated refrigerator/freezer so I don't have to worry about picking up odor from other food sources. After approx. 4 hours I tightly wrap my cakes in professional strength plastic wrap (wal-mart/sam's) two times. This allows my cakes to maintain the proper shapes & ensures moist fresh taste everytime. HTH!

This is similar to what I do. You can work 2 weeks a head if not more. I never have my act together more then 2 weeks ahead of schedule. I torte them after I freeze them. I take them out of the freezer for about 10 -15 minutes and torte. Then I let the torted layers come up to temperature.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 7:34am
post #9 of 9

I let my cakes cool a bit them flip m out onto plastic wrap. then they go into the freezer. when im ready to level/carve I unwrap and carve while frozen. I then re-wrap for it to thaw completely at room temperature then unwrap and frost. That way the cakes dont have a chance to dry out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%