Questions About Imbc

Decorating By Lovelyladylibra Updated 25 Oct 2011 , 9:41pm by KoryAK

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 8

I'm thinking of using this sine all I hear is its so creamy and not as sweat as American BC. And I hear its more stable than Swiss. But I have a few questions.
1, can you get dark colors with his? i red, black, royal blue, purple etc
2, does it crust
3, can I make it with a handheld mixer? I do not have a ka yet.

thank you for anyone who looks icon_smile.gif

anything else you can tell me please do

7 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 8

IMBC is not as sweet as SMBC but is buttery and it needs sufficient amounts of Vanilla or other flavoring. It takes on other flavors and colors beautifully. It is my favorite for icing cakes. It does not crust, but it "sets" firm when refrigerated.

You can use a hand mixer to make it, but be prepared, because it takes several minutes to beat the egg whites and then once the syrup is poured in quite a few more minutes to cool down a bit and then even more minutes to add the butter in gradually - but it can be done! Good luck.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 8

No, it does not crust. Yes, you can color it darker colors, but because of the butter base, you will never get true colors. Color it with candy colors. You can make it with a hand held, but think about the fact that your supposed to be pouring hot sugar syrup onto whipped egg whites evenly without it hitting the beaters. That's why it's nice to have a stand mixer to make it. And that is all the secrets I have for you.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 1:04am
post #4 of 8

Also it takes more coloring than ABC to get to those deep hues so you can end up with off flavors and runny icing. Yes you can make it in a handheld - but do it once and I think you'll splurge for the KA icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 4:03am
post #5 of 8

No
No
Yes

You have to dump WAY too much color into it to get dark colors, you might as well just drink the bottle of color.

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 4:46am
post #6 of 8

hmmmn sounds like it isnt worth the trouble then. Thank you ladies (if any of you are males my apologies) i think ill just stick to perfecting boring ol grainy american buttercream.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 7:38am
post #7 of 8

I just posted this a few minutes ago on another thread.

I used to own a construction company. When faced with dark colors on a cake, I borrowed from a repair procedure in construction.

For IMBC, cover your cake in natural, flavored, IMBC. Refrigerate to get it firm. Then deeply color a smaller amount. Now skim coat the dark color, about 1/8 inch on top of the natural. You can change colors, put them against each other... if I can do it, you pros will have no trouble.

Not only does this solve the problem of too much coloring, it helps to prevent the dark lips and teeth of the guests.

On my site, I have a Harry Potter cake (official design with the purchased figures). I used this method and the results were great. Pm me for a link.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 8

I do this too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%