More Modeling Chocolate Questions

Decorating By experimenting Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 5:23pm by experimenting

experimenting Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 9

I made some modeling chocolate in different colors. After I set them in the fridge overnight, which is what I've done before, some of them were very crumbly when I took them out to knead. I just proceeded to knead (and knead) and they seemed to come together after a while so I thought they were fine. Yesterday, I made some figures with them and everything still seemed okay, but after they sat a little while some of the colors ended up looking dry and even crackly. I realize now that I probably did something wrong in the process of making the modeling chocolate, but my question is:

Is there anything I can do at this point to salvage my figures? Can I brush a little light corn syrup on them or veg. shortening or something else? They're holding together just fine, but some colors just look kind of dry.

Also, can you paint modeling chocolate? Use candy color (oil based) or will food coloring (water based) work? Can these be painted directly onto modeling chocolate figures or do they need to be mixed with something? What about powdered coloring like color dust or pearl dust? Mix coloring with alcohol, water, something else? Do both white and dark modeling chocolate take well to being painted? I was just thinking that maybe painting the figures afterwards might be better when trying to get very dark colors or if I only need a little bit of one color or maybe just easier in general.

Thank you for any advice! This is my 3rd attempt at modeling chocolate figures and my first that will actually be for someone else - my nephew's 8th birthday cake!

8 replies
jgifford Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 9

You can brush the figures with veg oil to take care of the dry look. I'm sorry but I've never tried to paint them so I can't help you there; I would expect that you could paint them just like fondant figures but use oil-based colors. Same with the dusts.

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 9

Which recipe did you use? Real chocolate or candy melts? Not sure if you can salvage your figures. But reading material here; this person works with modeling chocolate and teaches modeling chocolate figures.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate.html

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/05/kai-lan-and-thomas-cake-toppers.html

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/03/kai-lan-figurine-workshop.html

experimenting Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 9

jgifford: Thanks for the veg. oil tip! That took care of the dry look for a little while, but went back to they dry look :/ I think I might try to paint them and if that doesn't work, I might put a little veg. oil on right before the party. Actually, if I have time, I might just make more and replace the dry ones - luckily it's really only a few.

imagenthatnj: I used 7oz. of white baker's chocolate with 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp. of light corn syrup (1/4 cup with my dark baker's chocolate). I used a little less depending on how much color I ended up adding. It's the color and adjusting the amount of corn syrup that I think gave me problems. When I made this before without adding color, the modeling chocolate turned out fine. Now that I think about it, I may have used a water-based color :0. I think I need to experiment more in adjusting the amt. of corn syrup when adding color or add the color after. Or just use the colored candy melts - thank you for the links!

jgifford Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 9

You can use water-based color as long as you add it to the corn syrup BEFORE putting it in the chocolate. It may still seem a bit grainy at first, but will soften up after kneading.

gmfcakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 9

I used the Sugar Sweet Cakes... recipe and it worked great, and I used the gel paste, the Americolor after it set (the next day).

gmfcakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 9

Oh and I left mine out on the counter, covered, I did not put it in the fridge. I have read that some people don't put it in the fridge because they have problems and I have seen some people that do and have no problems, so I guess it just depends on your preference.

experimenting Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the responses!
And thanks for the tip on adding my color to the corn syrup before putting it in the chocolate - I hadn't read about that in any other directions/tutorials. The only problem I see with that is you'd have to know exactly how much color you want to use, right? The possible problems I see, for me at least, is not knowing exactly how much color I need to get a desired shade or when you want to combine 2 colors. Trial and error, I guess - time for more experimenting icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%