The Nightmare Before Christmas Cake Toper

Decorating By cjsdd Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 9:11pm by Sugarfuse

cjsdd Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 5

So i just got a new order and it is due this weekend! I know I can do it....just a little worried on the making the figurines.

I have to make Jack and the girl as cake topers. My question is what it the best way to create them? Should I make them out of fondant or gum paste?

I will be dropping off the cake only about 4 miles away from my house to the customer, so it wont be too much travel time for me. But then the customer will be driving it to the destination. I guess I shouldn't be worried after I drop it off, but I am. I am worried about jack being so skinny, will he make the trip. Should i make the figurines and not place them on the cake and give them the items separately. That way they have to place the figurines on the cake at the party So tornAlso, jack's head's is pretty big compared to his

Suggestions, tutorials, tipsanything will help..

4 replies
pmarks0 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 5

I did a Jack Skellington figure last year on a birthday cake using gumpaste. My first time trying anything so long and tall. I used long bamboo skewers for his legs leaving enough room for them to go into the cake, as well as up into the torso. I think I used heavy gauge wire for his arms and placed it in across the shoulders and covered it in gumpaste. And I put his head on another toothpick and stuck it into his body.
I used black Americolor gel thinned with vodka to paint him, rather than try and colour the gumpaste black. He turned out okay for a first time.

cjsdd Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 5

oh my! wish me luck. I am printing this and going to try it out. Thank you so much for your help. =)

pmarks0 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 5

Good luck! i hope it works out. Post pictures afterwards.

Sugarfuse Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 5

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%