Icing Melting When Cookies Are Bagged...

Baking By JaeRodriguez Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 6:42pm by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all!

I have issues with my icing (I use I am baker's recipe)

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2009/10/sugar-cookie-frosting-recipe.html

And I use Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix for my cookies.

Well I leave my cookies out to dry overnight, and then when they are dry and I put them into bags or boxes, etc. the icing gets runny! It's mainly where the icing touches the other cookies, but it ruins them.

Have you had this happen? Could it be the cookie mix I am using? I asked I am baker if she's ever had this problem and she says no. Any tips or thoughts are appreciated!

Thank you!

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 6

It sounds like the butter in the cookie recipe is breaking down that particular icing recipe causing it to get runny.Maybe try another icing recipe.I use Antonias74 royal icing recipe for cookies...Never a problem.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with kiddiekakes; its the icing you are using. You need a royal icing with an egg white (pasturized) or meringue powder base and powdered sugar. When that dries it is h-a-r-d. Your icing with powdered sugar and corn syrup will remain too soft.
Good luck.

JaeRodriguez Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 6

Kiddiekakes,

I really would like to stick with the icing recipe, should I try making scratch cookies and using it on them? I guess I could do that and if it still happened I would switch, and just a sidenote, if I switch I've already decided it's going to be to Antonias I switch to. The icing I use now is more of a glaze I think.

Thank you!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 6

Try a scratch recipe..I use the NFSC recipe on here and always get great results.

JaeRodriguez Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 6

Uhoh, I didn't see Ellie's reply when I posted, maybe it is the icing! :/

I will try the NFSC with the glaze and if that doesn't work I will just go with a regular royal icing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%