Freezing Cake Question

Decorating By Sunshine0063 Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 6:38pm by kakeladi

Sunshine0063 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:52am
post #1 of 5

Anyone know how long you can keep a cake in the freezer, iced or uniced, without affecting the taste and freshness?
I have four large cakes due Nov 19th for my towns youth football league, work full time, have 5 kids, and my company has a blackout period for time off because of the holidays.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 replies
kelleym Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 5

A long, long time if they're properly wrapped. I always use one layer of plastic wrap and one layer of heavy duty foil. I make double and triple sure that there are no gaps or holes where bad freezer air can get in, and I have never had a problem. I have frozen cakes for orders for 2 weeks or more, and recently made cake balls out of a cake I'd had in the freezer since the beginning of June. They were awesome. icon_smile.gif

Sunshine0063 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you that helps, I will start baking now.

MCurry Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 5

You can bake them now for use on Nov 17th. Depending on the frosting you plan on using you can freeze that too. I usually double or triple wrap in plastic as an extra precaution of freezer taste.

kakeladi Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 5

Yes you certainly can start baking now. I have kept cake as long as 4-6 months w/o problems. YES! it did still taste good and was just as moist as the day it was bakedicon_smile.gif As the other poster said, it's how it's wrapped that helps keep it nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%