Fondant Over Full Buttercream...

Decorating By sweetminis Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 1:56pm by Panel7124

sweetminis Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:16am
post #1 of 7

I am new to decorating and have found CC to be invaluable but I have yet to find a solid solution to covering my fully frosted buttercream cakes with fondant.
I use Satin Ice/Fondx and my buttercream squishes around and/or my fondant starts to dry/crack before I can smooth it down properly (i'm pretty slow with that technique) but I hate the idea of just crumb coating because I love my buttercream. I have been successful with ganache but I find that it doesn't compliment all of my cake flavors.

I have tried to chill my cakes before applying my fondant but find that the fondant sweats & bubbles. Long story short (am I past that point already?) I'd like to know if and how this can be done with ABC or IMBC?

6 replies
scp1127 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:34am
post #2 of 7

I always fully frost my cakes because people buy mine because of the scratch baking and real buttercreams. I have no problem with the European buttercreams, but I do with cream cheese buttercream. Sometimes, even if the cake is very cold, I will have a corner with an indent because the frosting is just too soft to handle the manipulation.

I don't compromise the recipe or the amount, as the small dent is so unnoticeable to everyone but me.

I warn my customers and even have pictures. So far, everyone has opted for my cake with a little dent. And the dent is minute. A border usually covers it.

I keep forgetting to try FromScratch's SMBC with cream cheese. This is supposed to be much sturdier.

So I guess it's up to you. I'll opt for the taste.

mclaren Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:41am
post #3 of 7

Honey I don't know where you are located, but where I live, I will have the exact same problem if I were to frost my cakes with thick layer of BC prior to covering them with fondant.

Even after chilling the frosted cake (which in turn will cause bubble like what happened to you), when it finally starts coming to room temp, everything underneath the fondant will get squished causing the frosting to droop down at the bottom, pulling the fondant to sag.

The only way to go for me is either ganache or just crumb coating, like you have mentioned. So sorry I'm not helping, but sharing your frustrations.

sweetminis Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 7

@scp1127 I am also fully scratch for both cakes and frostings and I guess I will just keep practicing because taste is also number 1 for me!

@mclaren Glad to know someone understands my frustrations. Ganache is the best for covering so far and always a go to for any type of chocolate cake. I'm wondering if I split my layers more, and alternate buttercream with my filling, if the crumb coat only wont seem so bad?....hope that makes sense, LOL. I'm typing & eyeballing my 16month DD at the same time.

Thanks for your replies and I'll continue my quest for better covered cakes icon_smile.gif

Panel7124 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 7

sweetminis: I also prefer ganache but if have to use BC under fondant, I crumb coat, leave the cake in the wine cellar in the box (temp. approx 10 - 15 °C (I think approx 50 - 60 F) for a couple of hours - for non perishable fillings only! - then frost and leave at 50 - 60 F for the whole night. I always use IMBC .The fridge is good, BC is nice and firm but after coming to the room temperature quickly, it's slightly sweating and softening fast. Leaving it at the temperature of 50 - 60 F the change is not so sudden and even if it's not so firm, it's good to work with. Also using slightly thicker fondant is better. Also when putting fondant over your cake, let it sit for a couple of minutes on the cake, trying to smooth out the bubbles on the top first without sticking fondant immediately to the sides. You can see my last cake - used quite a lot of IMBC under the fondant (for my standard) - 1/2 inch maybe - and it's ok, or at least not a complete disaster I hope icon_wink.gif

sweetminis Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 7

Panel: thanks for that tip; I love your Bears & Fairy cake so not a disaster at all! I will box my cake next time and place in fridge (no wine cellar, I'm sorry to say) and see what happens. I see you love your IMBC as much as I do; 1/2" all the way thumbs_up.gif and roll my fondant a bit thicker as well.

Panel7124 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks sweetminis, you are really sweet! icon_wink.gif Really love IMBC .I don't know where you live and how is the weather but on here the temperatures are ideal now, 50 F outside in the night, so I can leave boxed cakes on my balcony on the rack - works like a wine cellar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%