First Time Using Satin Ice

Decorating By Cupcakeboy85 Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 7:50pm by satinice

Cupcakeboy85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeboy85 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 3:15am
post #1 of 20

I need to cover a 10" cake and I see on the chart I need 36oz what does equal in the satin ice lbs? Not too good with math lol

19 replies
Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 3:33am
post #2 of 20

16oz = 1lb

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 3:38am
post #3 of 20

So do I need a five lbs? or 2lbs

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 3:58am
post #4 of 20

i wouldn't use satin ice by itself...especially for the first time. mix it 50/50 with wilton and you'll have a nice usable fondant to cover your cake icon_smile.gif

so, you could get the 2lbs of that and then grab some wilton.

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:32am
post #5 of 20

why would I mix wilton with satin ice? just trying to understand the logic here

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 5:36am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcakeboy85

why would I mix wilton with ? just trying to understand the logic here

Many people find the new formula/way of making it (have read both - formula changed or equipment changed - either way, I also personally noticed a change and quit using it) difficult to work with. While some swear they have no issues, several of us find it's prone to cracking/tearing easily and elephant skin. I haven't tried it, but have read that many have had success when mixing it with Wilton. They swear it tastes great and is much easier to work with. Personally, I now use Satin Ice for anything I need to dry firm and use Fondarific to cover cakes.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:36am
post #7 of 20

I live in the UK and had a friend send me over some satin ice fondant and I love it just the way it is. It was super easy to work with, tasted amazing and I had no issues with it what so ever. I bought 2 x 2lb pails and I have covered 5 cakes already and still haven't even touched the second pail yet - got about a quarter of the first pail left.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 20

Nanefy, how does the satin ice compare to the Carma Massa Ticino? I bought a 7kg pail of that on your recommendation, it's a dream to work with but if the satin ice is comparable in quality but cheaper I'll go for that next time. TIA

nanefy Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Nanefy, how does the compare to the Carma Massa Ticino? I bought a 7kg pail of that on your recommendation, it's a dream to work with but if the is comparable in quality but cheaper I'll go for that next time. TIA

Hey Lisa, I'm so glad you went and got the Massa Ticino - it is amazing isn't it?? The only reason I bought the satin ice is because I needed a dark chocolate fondant and I know that Satin Ice is raved about. Satin Ice have confirmed that they are just about to start stocking it in the UK (hoorah!) but they are waiting on authorization from some government body. I hope it gets here soon because although I will always use the massa ticino for white cakes etc, I want another brand that is equally as good as the massa but has loads of colours and also gum paste and Satin Ice is just that. Their fondant is fantastic and as soon as it lands in the UK, I'll be stocking up on it!! icon_smile.gif

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 20

Can anyone answer my question? icon_biggrin.gif

LisaPeps Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 20

16oz = 1lb so 36oz =2.25lbs

Nanefy, yes it's great stuff. I've only used it for one cake so far but I'll be using it again this weekend. I need to colour it purple and green, does it colour well? Or does it get affected like regal ice when you use alot of colour?

I wanted to ask you as well, I need to do ruffles like in alot of your cakes. How did you divide up your cakes to get the ruffles perfectly spaced (the ones where it curves around the sides like drop piping)? Did you use straight fondant with the garrett frill cutter and ruffle it with a tooth pick?

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 20

The chart may say 36oz but I've covered more than a ten inch with a 2lb pail...had a bit left over after trimming, and it covered nice and smooth and thick enough. I would think one 2lb pail would be good. I didn't like Satin Ice, I got that elephant skin dry look...I love Fondx the best, fondarific is my 2nd choice, it can be toooo soft if its hot in your kitchen. Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:47pm
post #13 of 20

How high will your cake be? Is is 2 layers torted? 2 layers not torted? 1 layer? You get the idea. If it is 4" high you can probably get away with a 2 lbs pail( I have done this successfully) You can roll satin ice pretty thin (thinner than wilton) and still have it cover nicely. Like mentioned above you can mix it just to make it go farther if you don't think you have enough. I would get a 5 lbs pail though...you will have lots left over for your next project and it is cheaper in the bigger pails... but this is coming from a girl who buys 10lbs pails icon_biggrin.gif

nanefy Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:

Nanefy, yes it's great stuff. I've only used it for one cake so far but I'll be using it again this weekend. I need to colour it purple and green, does it colour well? Or does it get affected like regal ice when you use alot of colour?

I wanted to ask you as well, I need to do ruffles like in alot of your cakes. How did you divide up your cakes to get the ruffles perfectly spaced (the ones where it curves around the sides like drop piping)? Did you use straight fondant with the garrett frill cutter and ruffle it with a tooth pick?

It just so happens that I have a tutorial on it on my facebook page, here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=275364209158324

nanefy Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 20

I don't know how thick everyone else rolls their fondant, but I have covered five 8" wide by 5" high cakes and still have a quarter of my 2lb pail left over!

LisaPeps Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:20pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

Quote:

It just so happens that I have a tutorial on it on my facebook page, here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=275364209158324

Wonderful! Thank you, just hope it looks something like yours! They're fabulous icon_smile.gif

nanefy Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:24pm
post #17 of 20

oh yeah, meant to say, the fondant colours beautifully, just make sure to do the colouring a day or two in advance or it will be uber soft. I bung mines in the fridge to firm up over night (wrapped in cling film and a plastic bag) and then it's fine next day. My most recent cake below, was coloured the night before with a shed load of blue and it covered brilliantly.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2188726/

nanefy Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:25pm
post #18 of 20

oh yeah, meant to say, the fondant colours beautifully, just make sure to do the colouring a day or two in advance or it will be uber soft. I bung mines in the fridge to firm up over night (wrapped in cling film and a plastic bag) and then it's fine next day. My most recent cake below, was coloured the night before with a shed load of blue and it covered brilliantly.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2188726/

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:55pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie-d

How high will your cake be? Is is 2 layers torted? 2 layers not torted? 1 layer? You get the idea. If it is 4" high you can probably get away with a 2 lbs pail( I have done this successfully) You can roll pretty thin (thinner than wilton) and still have it cover nicely. Like mentioned above you can mix it just to make it go farther if you don't think you have enough. I would get a 5 lbs pail though...you will have lots left over for your next project and it is cheaper in the bigger pails... but this is coming from a girl who buys 10lbs pails icon_biggrin.gif

No torted just a two layer... thanks for the advice everyone!

satinice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satinice Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 7:50pm
post #20 of 20

To those wondering how much Satin Ice is needed to cover a cake, you can refer to our guide on the Satin Fine Foods website
www.satinfinefoods.com/product

To those in the UK, we are launching our White, Ivory and Chocolate fondants as well as our Gum Paste in November! Our colored fondants will be available to you in 2012, after review by the British authorities. Sign up for our e-newsletter to get the latest news.

Your friends at Satin Fine Foods
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%