Need Help With "deposit" Amounts

Decorating By labmom Updated 25 Oct 2011 , 3:35pm by aprilismaius

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 5

I have spent the day revamping my prices for things after reading a few threads and telling myself that I am not charging enough. The same thing everyone has been telling me forever.. but refused to listen to them. thinking that I would loose business by clients thinking I was too expensive.

Now comes the question what do you request as a deposit for a wedding cake?

I used to let the client pick what was the best about for there budget and then just deduct it from the balance due. some would leave $50.00 some would pay the whole amount. I never knew how much a client had to work with and didn't want to put them in a hard place. Now I have had so many clients change there dates, venues, and sometimes cancel. Under some I would give them a partial refund depending on the reason, and how far out we were from the wedding date. But most just figured it was gone with the rest of the deposits.

So please help.. do you have a percentage, a set amount ??? what??

4 replies
SarahMdr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahMdr Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 5

Good for you! I simply require a 50% deposit on the cake at time of agreement and the remainder 2 weeks before the wedding. This works really well for me. Best of luck to you!

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 5

Yep 50% and a non-refundable deposit, you can't be expected to take the hit when things happen or dates are changed or even cancelled all together.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:53am
post #4 of 5

Mine is $100.00 with balance four weeks before the date, but I think the 50% people are more in line. I may re-think this myself.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 5

I used to do a percentage deposit, and now I just do a flat $100 deposit, because it is easier for me. Remaining payment is due 14 days before the event. My deposits are non-refundable. If something happens and I have the availability, I will apply it to a future event for them should they need to change the date for some reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%