What Is The Best (Most Affordable) Printer For Edible Images

Decorating By StormyHaze Updated 3 Dec 2011 , 1:43am by icingimages

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all! Im in the market looking for a printer for edible images, and i was wondering if any of you had any tips or 2 cents about the subject?

I was thinking about getting a Epson WorkForce 30 Color Printer , but its only the first one ive seen and that seems to cost 70 total. not including ink.

what is fair?
do you have any experience with it?

14 replies
bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 15

I have gone through several printers over the years. I have found the canon printers have been the best. I use the new MG5200 from canon and it has been great. I use it to print icing sheets and I even use it to print on gum paste. I have never had a problem, so I can highly recommend it.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 15

I highly recommend the Canon printers too. I have the M560 and LOVE IT. Previously I had an Epson that constantly clogged up and finally just gave up. My print quality on my new Canon is so much better than the Epson, there is just no comparison, and I have not had a single clog on this new printer. They are more expensive, but worth every penny.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:40am
post #4 of 15

I also have the canon MP560 and love it, however it has been replaced with the MG5220. I highly recommend the gold label ink cartridges from icingimages as well as their premium frosting sheets. I've tried several brands and get the best color and quality with their products and their customer service is awsome.

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:39am
post #5 of 15

Well now i have a top three to look at! I cant help but wonder though, what is the difference?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 15

Canon print heads can be removed and cleaned when clogged, epsons can't.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 15

Check out info I posted on this topic recently.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-731657.html

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 15

I love my Canon IP 3600. Around $80 for the printer, you can resell the real ink that comes with it on ebay, and buying the cartridges and refill stuff from icingimages.com isn't very expensive at all.

dorothymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorothymarie Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 15

I have two printers for edible images and both are Canon. I bought mine on Amazon.com, great prices plus free shipping and no tax. I am very satisfied with both printers. One is the 560 and the other the 5220.

The best frosting sheets I have used came from photofrost. I don't like icingimages ink or paper. Their paper is too thick. I like the paper to blend in so people don't feel like they are eating paper. And icingimages inks tend to clog.

dorothymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorothymarie Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 15

The Canon iP3600 is $69.99 at Amazon.com today. I have heard it is a good printer for edible images.

icingimages Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 1:00am
post #11 of 15

We recommend the canon mg5220 or mg 5320. If you are Looking to print the large sheets try the ix6420. All are excellent and all work with our sponge free cartridges which give you a lot more usable ink per cartridge, they are refillable directly in the printer and because there is no sponge, there is no alcohol needed so you have less printed burnout.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:54am
post #12 of 15

I have ad 2 Epsons. One lasted about a year and a half. The second one lasted about 3 months!! icon_sad.gif I got the Canon MP560 and it has worked really well. Find out which Canon models will take the edible carts and then check all prices on Amazon.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 10:25am
post #13 of 15

Can you purchase a canon mg5220 elsewhere and still purchase the iiprint subscription and the inks from icing images?

thanks.

icingimages Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 10:46am
post #14 of 15

Yes you can

icingimages Posted 3 Dec 2011 , 1:43am
post #15 of 15

You do have to purchase our sheets for it to work. But iiPrint is free, it is iiDesigns you have to pay for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%