Curiosity Question

Decorating By SnLSweetEscapes Updated 23 Oct 2011 , 4:26pm by rlowry03

SnLSweetEscapes Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone only do Buttercream cakes and refuse to do fondant cakes? Also, are you successful at this and get any complaints?
I personally have just started decorating cakes and am still learning a lot as I am completely self taught. I know that fondant is very common and to me looks a lot easier. But then again I have never used it. Or maybe I should say that it looks quicker, haha.
Thanks!

8 replies
MimiFix Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 9

It's possible to start a cake business structured around your own ideas; then see how your ideas adapt to the marketplace. I used to do fondant cakes but my hands were much happier doing buttercream only. I lost some business, of course, but when I stopped I then had more time to accept orders I'd previously turned down (because I was too busy laboring with fondant).

tiggy2 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 9

I don't refuse to do them but most people in my area don't want fondant (cost/taste). As far as being easier and quicker, you still have to have a BC base coat and it would have to be smoother then what I'm seeing in your photos. You have to roll it to the correct thickness and it takes time to smooth out to avoid wrinkles. There are many youtube videos if you want to give it a go.

GarciaGM Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 9

I've not ever done a fondant covered cake. In fact, I specifically tell people I won't do them. Yes, they are very pretty and give you certain design possibilities that are more difficult with buttercream, but I am also self-taught and it's just not something I've delved into yet. Now, I do fondant and gumpaste accents and decorations, but otherwise it's all buttercream. No complaints yet.

As far as fondant being easier, I'm not convinced that it is either easier or less work. You still have to get a pretty clean coat of buttercream underneath the fondant, so it seems to me like it would be the same amount of work or more. But I understand that it's all a matter of opinion and experience. Buttercream seems easier to me because that's what I learned first, but I have a good friend who is totally intimidated by buttercream and only does fondant.

Ruth0209 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 9

Fondant cakes are neither easier, nor faster than buttercream cakes. If you're making cakes for family or friends, you can do what you want. If you're going to be a serious custom cake decorator you need to be skilled in more techniques than buttercream and premade sugar or plastic decorations.

luddroth Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 9

Just saw an article on Sylvia Weinstock, one of the most expensive cake designers in the world (celebrity weddings, etc.). She said that she hates fondant and doesn't do it at all. She says that she even does drapery in buttercream. So, there's one.

scp1127 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 9

I must respectfully disagree with Ruth.

SawLil, successful business is based on finding a niche in the market and filling it. You will commit business suicide if you try to be everything to everyone when you clearly excel in a certain skill. Do a business plan, complete with a marketing plan and a demographic study. If your area is not saturated and the income is there, you have just as much viability as a business as anyone else. My business is full of non-traditional, or non-mainstream ideas. I actually make a living doing the opposite of the norm.

Our most successful shop is a buttercream only shop. She has just been nominated as small businessperson of the year in our area. She has been in business twenty years, owns two businesses outright, and is someone who I respect greatly as a businessperson.

Pm me and I'll send you a link to her site.

fearlessbaker Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 9

I just bought Richard Felsten's DVDs on covering cakes with chocolate clay. It takes some work at the beginning. His site is Baking Arts. maybe SW is using rolled BC. Email her. she answers.

rlowry03 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

Just saw an article on Sylvia Weinstock, one of the most expensive cake designers in the world (celebrity weddings, etc.). She said that she hates fondant and doesn't do it at all. She says that she even does drapery in buttercream. So, there's one.

I want to be able to drapery in buttercream icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%