Freezing Torted Rasberry-Filled Cakes

Decorating By Walkinmomma Updated 23 Oct 2011 , 6:07pm by kakeladi

Walkinmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walkinmomma Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 2

I will be preparing and freezing the cakes for my daughter's wedding cake about a week ahead of assembling it. She wants to use the Cake Boss white velvet cake one one layer, the WASC recipie on the next, and the White Chocolate recipie from this site on the third; all torted and filled with rasberry filling. My question is this-if I am going to thaw on wednesday and assemble and decorate on thursay and friday(fancy cake!) to be served on saturday-is it ok to assemble and crumb coat before freezing or should I wait until I am ready to cover with fondant? Are there any tricks to use to prevent the rasberry filling from soaking into the cake and how thick should I make the filling when torting?

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 2

Definately go ahead and fill/crumb before fzing. I have used 'no sugar added'/'all fruit' jams and sleeved fillings and have never had the filling soad into the cake.
As for how thick to make the filling - make a dam of icing (I use tip 12, pipe slightly thickened b'cream) and fill just to the top of that dam.
If you are torting more than once - say your layer is 2" thick & you cut it into 3 layers - then use less in each.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%