Ballroom Dancing Themed Cake

Decorating By CrumblesConfections Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 12:07am by brum

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 12

Hello everyone. I got a request for a ballroom dancing/couple-themed cake. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of maybe a cake topper (non-wedding) that may be helpful. It's for a 60th female birthday, but and the cake will be 2 or 3 tiers. I really don't want to mold anything, just use the topper as the main focus and do some other related decorations on the cake. The lady is African American too and I was running against issues finding toppers for African Americans. Any ideas/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

11 replies
CrumblesConfections Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 12

***CRICKETS****

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:05am
post #3 of 12

I had a similar issue making a cake for an African American teen who loves jazz dancing. I kept it clean and simple by cutting out a silhouette of a jazz dancer and positioning her on a "stage." The cutout was made from fondant/gumpaste with a flat stick "glued" to the back and covered with melted chocolate. I think you could do the same with a dancing couple.

Photo here: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2111103

This approach kept this cake relatively simple and straightforward. The girl and her family loved it, and I was really happy with the result. Good luck with your project.

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:13am
post #4 of 12

Maybe you can do silhouettes on each tier of different ballroom dances. There must be certain moves that are specific to each type of dance that would be recognizable.

CrumblesConfections Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

I had a similar issue making a cake for an African American teen who loves jazz dancing. I kept it clean and simple by cutting out a silhouette of a jazz dancer and positioning her on a "stage." The cutout was made from fondant/gumpaste with a flat stick "glued" to the back and covered with melted chocolate. I think you could do the same with a dancing couple.

Photo here: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2111103

This approach kept this cake relatively simple and straightforward. The girl and her family loved it, and I was really happy with the result. Good luck with your project.

Thank you! Great idea!!!

CrumblesConfections Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider

Maybe you can do silhouettes on each tier of different ballroom dances. There must be certain moves that are specific to each type of dance that would be recognizable.

Hadn't thought of this, but it sounds good! Thank you!

Misoranomegami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misoranomegami Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 12

Oh maybe around the edges you could do the old timey dance step charts? The one with the foot cut outs and the arrows?

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 12

I think that patchwork cutters has a cutter that is a couple dancing together that would look nice in black with a light oval background as you topper.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 12

Patchwork cutters just happen to be on sale at Global Sugar Art and their shipping is really fast.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 12

You guys are the best! Thank you so much for the great ideas. I can ALWAYS count on my CC family for help!

brum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brum Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 12:07am
post #12 of 12

Patchwork cutters have a full set of lovely ballroom dancers which are all in different sizes which you could put on more than one size cake. You could also make them in colours as these come with full instructions and are brilliant to use. They do a very wide range of allsorts and look really beautiful. Just have a look on their web site here in England and you will see how they look on a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%